Two questions for 436/536 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

For those that own BOTH 436 and 536:
Is the reception on a P25 system similar with the stock antennas?

Now that these have come out I'm sure people have figured this out.

Secondly, I thought I read it here before but can't find it now. Are there any current feeds hosted with a 436?

kellykeeton

My one suggestion is that you don't run stock antennas - since most systems are 800mhz using an antenna for this will bring so much performance to the table that ... IMO tossing that antenna in a box and putting on what you need for your scanning needs is step #1 - I had my 536 for a while before I had to return for issues - never touched the OEM antenna.

Classic theory however is that the telescoping antenna provided with the 5 is better performance because you can "tune" it vs the rubber duck that is fixed.

JamesO

I have a 396xt, 996xt and just received my 536HP yesterday. Do not have a 436HP.

I run the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna most of the time on most of my radios. I have no idea what Radio Shack/Antenna supplier did in this 800 MHz antenna design, but this is probably the best 800 MHz antenna I have run into so far.

My 996xt was purchased used and it only came with a 144/440 Ham antenna. Nice antenna, but the radio was deaf on 800 MHz. I first thought the radio had problems with 800 MHz, until I dug up a 90 degree BNC adapter and put the 800 MHz radio shack antenna on the scanner, the 800 MHz woke up. I think the prior owner sold the 996xt because he was unhappy with the performance, but it was the antenna.

I run the 800 MHz Radio Shack antenna on my 396xt along with the SMA-BMC adapter that came with the 396xt.

I cannot believe that Uniden has not bothered to invest in and offer a decent 800 MHz antenna even as an accessory/option. Seems that antennas can make a big difference on how any radio will receive.

whsbuss

Well antennas can make a difference but not always. I believe the RS antenna as a 3db gain. If your in an area where simulcast and mulitpath are a problem, you may not want any antenna gain.

kellykeeton

I would respectfully disagree - the majority of the performance of the radio is the antenna, for example using a yagi would allow gain and reduce multi-path. Additionally moving the antenna location, which wouldn't typically be "using the stock antennas" as your operating position isn't likely an ideal antenna location.

daneg

Thanks guys.

Our current system is low band 33 Mhz. PD being 145-155Mhz.

Our new system that is to go live in August is a P25 Digital that's somewhere in the 450-470 Mhz range.

With apparently voice paging being somewhere in the 154-155mhz at least to start.

One antenna doesn't do all I guess? I go on out of state trips, I would hate having to change it out every so often.

Locally though with the new system I would just leave whatever picks up the new system best on.

I would pick up the 536 and be done ,but can't spend that much on it.

I checked around I can't seem to find any feeds using either of the new scanners. Hmm.

kellykeeton

The rubber duck antenna technically performs worse then the extendable antenna - per the physics of a tuned antenna. However that is a loaded statement. And one antenna will do it all. Just that multiple antennas will "work better"

The 536 is $99 more .. If you feel it's better suited for your needs just wait a month and save up some cash.

Just use the factory antenna and if you have reception issues, address your antenna first (type and location)

As for feeds with the new scanners there are various audio issues complicating that right now.. Just hold out people will get there..

Also as for having to change out antennas "every so often" it's a rather quick process.. I carry 2-4 antennas with me wherever I am for whatever purpose any of my radios are needed for..

Last edited:

daneg

The rubber duck antenna technically performs worse then the extendable antenna - per the physics of a tuned antenna. However that is a loaded statement. And one antenna will do it all. Just that multiple antennas will "work better"

The 536 is $99 more .. If you feel it's better suited for your needs just wait a month and save up some cash.

Just use the factory antenna and if you have reception issues, address your antenna first (type and location)

As for feeds with the new scanners there are various audio issues complicating that right now.. Just hold out people will get there..

Also as for having to change out antennas "every so often" it's a rather quick process.. I carry 2-4 antennas with me wherever I am for whatever purpose any of my radios are needed for..

Yeah changing out the antennas wouldn't be too big of an issue, I would just have to keep the stock one with it just incase I'd forget one.

One other reason why I want the 436 is because I can just pick it up and go. I hated moving the bct15x back and forth from the car and so on. Atleast with the 436 it's like ultra portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.