Two questions: Why does the Uniden website not list, and is there a desktop equivalent to SDS100?

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I am considering buying an SDS100 but have these two questions:

1. Why does the Uniden website itself not list the scanner as one of its active products (I am looking here). That seems a bit odd. Do they sell but no longer manufacture it, or are they winding it down?

2. I love everything I am reading about the SDS100 -- it may even be way too complicated for my needs, but I still want one. Except, I really don't like the form factor of the SDS100 as a "hand held" device. I much prefer a table top model whenever possible and while I do see some available of what might be comparable sophistication to the SDS100, given the dizzying array of specs, I can't be sure. So, my question simply is, what do you suppose is the most comparable Uniden table top model against the SDS100?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
And Uniden gives preference to dealers to sell their scanners, so when stock is low they remove it from their commerce website.

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
And Uniden gives preference to dealers to sell their scanners, so when stock is low they remove it from their commerce website.

See, and my instinct for the case of simplicity is to always "go straight to the source". Thank you for this insight, but I'll never understand the machinations of commerce entirely. :)

belvdr

No longer interested in living
See, and my instinct for the case of simplicity is to always "go straight to the source". Thank you for this insight, but I'll never understand the machinations of commerce entirely. :)
Agreed. I could see Uniden stating it was out of stock, but to hide the product from public view entirely is not the smartest move. Case in point, you didn't know about the SDS200 at all, and how could you when Uniden hid it from view.

garys

Premium Subscriber
In retail sales that is known as "Not undercutting the channel." Manufacturers don't want to undermine sales of their retail partners so they don't sell products on their sites (if they have them) at a lower price than a retailer can sell.

The exception was back when Uniden would sell factory refurbished scanners at a discount. Since they couldn't be sold as new because they weren't new, there were some decent bargains to be had as long as the customer could live with a 90 day warranty as opposed to the one year warranty a new scanner came with. Since most failures occur early on, it's not much of a risk.

Johnson1522

As a follow up, I'm interested in purchasing the SDS100 w/ a DMR upgrade. Most third party upgrades I see are $75 and I've heard (but not seen) that they're cheaper through Uniden. All advice I hear is to go to the manufacture directly and avoid paying dealer prices for that upgrade. Seems that isn't possible at this time.

1.) Can I purchase a base SDS100 and perform the DRM upgrade myself? It seems as if it's as simple as purchasing a key and there's no need to send the radio off anywhere.

2.) Are there any suggested dealers or third party vendors?

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
As a follow up, I'm interested in purchasing the SDS100 w/ a DMR upgrade. Most advice I hear is to go to the manufacture directly and avoid paying dealer prices for that upgrade. Seems that isn't possible at this time.

1.) Can I purchase a base SDS100 and perform the DRM upgrade myself? It seems as if it's as simple as purchasing a key and there's no need to send the radio off anywhere.

2.) Are there any suggested dealers or third party vendors?

1) Just clarifying, SDS100 is the mobile handheld version. The SDS200 is the base station. And yes, you can perform the DMR upgrade yourself. You go the Uniden site, confirm and validate your serial number as the key they will issue is based on your serial number, and enter the key on your SDS100, which will unlock the feature.

2) To purchase the SDS100/200, you can go to Bearcat Warehouse, Scanner Master, Zip Scanners, or MTC Radio. To purchase the license key, start the process by going to myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area (note the HTTPS).

Johnson1522

Thanks for the quick reply, Hex. That's exactly the information I was looking for. Also, thanks to tdave365 for letting me hijack for a moment.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply, Hex. That's exactly the information I was looking for. Also, thanks to tdave365 for letting me hijack for a moment.
With "hot sellers" Uniden does not sell them direct so they aren't in competition with their dealers.

You will need BOTH the serial number on the paper tag on the back of an SDS200 or in the battery compartment on the sds100 plus the ESN which is the "Electronic Serial Number" found via the screen display under info. Once installed, the upgrade is permanent and cannot be removed other than replacing the motherboard. Only Uniden can do that, and they will "install" whatever upgrades were in the old motherboard into the new motherboard.

Johnson1522

I actually spoke with Uniden support a few moments ago and they do now sell them directly from their website. Both the SDS100 and SDS200 are listed and available for purchase directly.

This has changed since viewing their website (and this thread) this morning. Really weird, but maybe there was an inventory adjustment or lag.

Johnson1522

Interesting, I just ordered an SDS100 before posting this. The subtotal nor total reflected tax. The amount charged to my card was $649.99 and that included free shipping.