• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

two radios to one car speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatertj

is this possible? Running the cars radio and scanner radio to drivers door speaker? I have a ex cop crown vic so i know the wires to run the scanner to the speaker is there. But can i put a three way switch in to run scanner when its on to that speaker then switch it over to fm radio when scanner is off? Or is there more involved to this?

W2NJS

Did you not also post this same question in another forum?

You need to get a radio shop to do this work for you, otherwise you run a serious risk of ruining your car radio, unless you're trained to do the work and fully understand how the wiring is done.

skatertj

Yes, but i had asked this question, but with different words and didnt get anything back. If its to difficult then i will look into just getting a amplified speaker to go somewhere in the car.

pinetree

The best solution is to use a dual coil speaker. I used them several times and they work great. I am sure that someone still makes them.

skatertj

Ok, so i know how a dual voice coil speaker works. If i were to wire that, i believe it would make it have the scanner sound and fm radio sound come out the speaker all at once. I want the scanner to use the speaker only when i want it to(when scanner is on) and have it run the fm radio when the scanner is off.

pinetree

I would use caution in using a switch to cut out the fm radio if you dont use a dummy load you could blow that channel on the radio.

skatertj

So, by the sound of all this, it isnt as easy as throwing in a few parts in line of a few wires and im done? I had a plan to just run one three way switch with the scanners speaker AUX wire to one ON pole of the switch, then the other ON pole being the fm radio wire that runs to the left door speaker. Then, the center OFF pole running to the speaker. When one is switched on, it would complete the circuit, letting sound go through. It isnt that is though, is it?

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Spend the $20 to get a good communications radio extension speaker for your scanner, you can pick one up for less at Radio Shack. It's far less the hassle to try and tap your car speakers since each speaker has separate leads (FR, FL, RR, RL and sub woofer) coming out of the AM/FM radio.

skatertj

Well i have a connector directly under my dash that i can access these wires. Thats why i have wanted to do this but i plan to just get a extension speaker now.

Status
Not open for further replies.