Two Satellite Dishes for TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

Hello. I'd like to have 2 dish antennas facing 2 different satellites so I don't need a rotor. In this case I combine the 2 coax cables from both antennas and merge them into 1. Would I receive both satellites without a problem on 1 or more TV sets? Is there a switch for it, or could I just strip the cables, attach center conductors and shields respectively?

Thanks.

bharvey2

I'm not a satellite tv person but by and large, connecting two directly together seems like a bad idea. I think an A/B switch would be the proper way to go.

JDrisc3480

Hello. I'd like to have 2 dish antennas facing 2 different satellites so I don't need a rotor. In this case I combine the 2 coax cables from both antennas and merge them into 1. Would I receive both satellites without a problem on 1 or more TV sets? Is there a switch for it, or could I just strip the cables, attach center conductors and shields respectively?

Thanks.

Are you talking about a large satellite dish? I know that Dish Network uses two or three depending on if it is an Eastern arc or a Western arc, but the dish is positioned in the middle so it captures the signal from either both or all three without needing to rotate. Directv is pretty much the same way. That is why I am asking.

ASAD

Are you talking about a large satellite dish? I know that Dish Network uses two or three depending on if it is an Eastern arc or a Western arc, but the dish is positioned in the middle so it captures the signal from either both or all three without needing to rotate. Directv is pretty much the same way. That is why I am asking.

These are KU band parabolic dishes. I'm installing them in Pakistan. One will be facing India and another facing Europe.

prcguy

I would assume there is a satellite receiver somewhere as you would not be connecting a satellite dish directly to a TV set. In that case you could use an F connector type A/B switch specified for satellite use and switch between two dishes. The switch would need to be made for at least the 950 to 1450MHz range and preferably a 950 to 2150Mhz version since we don't know the specifics about your satellite receiver or dish.

When you switch between dishes the satellite receiver would need some time to download a new program guide and figure out what satellite its looking at before you can choose a channel to watch.
prcguy

These are KU band parabolic dishes. I'm installing them in Pakistan. One will be facing India and another facing Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.