Two Seperate Antenna Questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I have a couple of questions.. First of all, I have a current mobile antenna that is made for 144-170 mhz.. It has worked fine for this band but I am heading to Missouri next week and want to hear the MO HWY PTRL which still uses low band in the 45-47 range area..I am thinking that my 144-170 mhz antenna will not work good for the 45-48 mhz range therefore, I am thinking, Could I possibly get another mag mount low band antenna and then get a T connector and hook the two antennas together and run them out of connector to the scanner....will this work? Does anyone know?

Anyone got any suggestions about this?

Suggestions anyone?

edit: I think this may have should went in antenna forum.. If so, Feel Free To Move It, Sorry about that..

Last edited:

EFjohnsonVHF

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You can connect to scanners to one antenna, Or two antennas to one scanner, Just get the proper splitters etc. and it should work, I have done it and it works great for me.

mjthomas59

I'm not sure how consistent it works. Using a t-connector may work for some, it doesn't work for others. Also for the record, MOHP uses 42mhz frequencies primarily. I use a 5/8 wave VHF-Hi antenna for monitoring MOHP and it works great for me. Gives me plenty of range on lowband plus i have the benefit on 3DB gain on VHF-Hi. This saves you buying and running a 2nd antenna. Plus you don't have to worry about the inconsistent results of using these cable tv t-splitters and the loss that is usually associated with them.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it'll work...

In a pinch, I have used a VHF-Hi mag mount antenna for scanner reception. It worked fine on all bands. Just make sure it has a good metal groundplane. The roof works best. Remember, you're only receiving. Transmitting would possibly cause a problem because of the mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.