• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Two-Tone decode programming NX200

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Trying to program two-tone decoding on my NX200. I have two sets of tones that I want to program. One is 903.2/553.9, and the other is 810.2/903.2. First tone is programmed to A/B, the other is programmed to C/D. First tone will decode without a problem, and during the pager test the second set is usually right after the first set, but it will not activate on the second set of tones at all. Is there something I'm missing?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I'm concerned about the 903.2 tone. In one set it is the A tone and in the other set the B tone. Depending how the tones are sent out, the radio may run the 903.2 decode together thinking it's one long tone. You could put the single tone sets into individual channels to test each one separately. I suspect that would work fine.

Let me get to my software to see if there are any timing parameters you could diddle with.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I'm concerned about the 903.2 tone. In one set it is the A tone and in the other set the B tone. Depending how the tones are sent out, the radio may run the 903.2 decode together thinking it's one long tone. You could put the single tone sets into individual channels to test each one separately. I suspect that would work fine.

Let me get to my software to see if there are any timing parameters you could diddle with.

Here are the decode parameters I have set up right now. I never thought about that.

Attachments

• toneparam.jpg
    toneparam.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 364

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Well you piqued my interest and had to try it myself. I programmed my NX200 to your 2tone settings and set the radio off with my service monitor. For the tone sets I used the standard 1second/3 second timing and started with a 3 second gap time between sets. No problem decoding either. Swapped tone sets for encoding and still both alerted. I reduced the gap time between tone sets a few times until I got to zero. All four tones went out mashed together and the radio could still decode both, even when the set were swapped again. Played with the auto reset timer, switched the decode sequence to A-B/C-A, swapped tones around still all good.

The only time I could get the second set of tones to fail was with the gap time at zero and I changed the alert tone timing so both were very long slow baaleeeps of several seconds. Encoding A-B/C-D to the radio worked but C-D/A-B did not. Increasing the gap time to 50ms then both worked fine.

So to me it looks like the NX200 can decode a 2tone just about any which way it comes out. Starting to think there may be problems on the way it comes across on the radio. Wide/narrow issue? Tone volume (deviation) too high or too low? I know you're probably entering tones off of a list but are these the true tones or maybe a little off (tones vary from encoder to encoder)?

I guess, again, you could put different A-B sets in two different channels to see if they will decode all by themselves. Sorry but not finding much here at my end.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Well you piqued my interest and had to try it myself. I programmed my NX200 to your 2tone settings and set the radio off with my service monitor. For the tone sets I used the standard 1second/3 second timing and started with a 3 second gap time between sets. No problem decoding either. Swapped tone sets for encoding and still both alerted. I reduced the gap time between tone sets a few times until I got to zero. All four tones went out mashed together and the radio could still decode both, even when the set were swapped again. Played with the auto reset timer, switched the decode sequence to A-B/C-A, swapped tones around still all good.

The only time I could get the second set of tones to fail was with the gap time at zero and I changed the alert tone timing so both were very long slow baaleeeps of several seconds. Encoding A-B/C-D to the radio worked but C-D/A-B did not. Increasing the gap time to 50ms then both worked fine.

So to me it looks like the NX200 can decode a 2tone just about any which way it comes out. Starting to think there may be problems on the way it comes across on the radio. Wide/narrow issue? Tone volume (deviation) too high or too low? I know you're probably entering tones off of a list but are these the true tones or maybe a little off (tones vary from encoder to encoder)?

I guess, again, you could put different A-B sets in two different channels to see if they will decode all by themselves. Sorry but not finding much here at my end.

That's weird, because A/B works fine. When they do the nightly tone test, A/B tone is the 3rd tone, then the C/D tone is the 4th tone. It never activates, even with a second of spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.