Two TRX-2 volume issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

theTastyCat

Hey all - two different issues I'd love your input on.

1. Low audio. Volume at 10 was fine when it was next to my PC while programming/figuring the thing out, but now that it's in my truck, I can barely hear it. Context: truck is a 2013 GMC Sierra and *very* quiet inside. I installed a generic CB-type external, non-powered speaker. My hearing is so good that my doctor told me I'd literally need hearing aids if it were any *better* just to block out normal levels of sound. Any fix for this? I've read that the audio boost I see in EZ-Scan doesn't seem to do anything; maybe a powered external speaker?

2. The exception to this is P25 Phase II, that is VERY loud and perfectly clear. Man, it is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, it's the only thing that is, so when I have the volume to max to hear P25 Phase I and NXDN (which some have reported is really nice quality - that's sadly not been my experience) and a Phase II talkgroup opens up, it just about sends me into a tree! I haven't had any luck finding any individual talkgroup settings for volume/gain/whatever - any ideas?

Thanks all!

scottyhetzel

1. The speaker impedance is different at the office compared the the speaker in the car. 8ohm speaker will be quieter than a 4 ohm.

I have uniden...but if all your channels are on narrow fm on fm tx than it will be quieter. Most p25 800 default on the scanner to fm.

theTastyCat

No kidding...so you're saying find a 4 ohm speaker? And move all my P25 stuff to FM? I think almost everything defaults to NFM...maybe if I put it all on FM I'll get a boost? What needs to stay NFM? I mainly monitor P25 and NXDN.

Thanks!

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
No No no....

If you are properly decoding digital voice, the FM/NFM setting won't change anything, at least volume wise.

Theoretically, for analog frequency modulation, setting a narrowband FM frequency to the NFM setting will make it louder than it would be on the FM setting. However, I don't really see much of a difference. I wonder if it is actually using a different filter or if that setting is merely to be consistent with the Radio Reference database.

At any rate, I am trying to figure out the best way, myself, to fix the P1/P2 volume difference. The auto gain control doesn't seem to do much. I presume this has to do with a gain setting in the vocoder that we don't have access to.

Regarding the speaker, a powered speaker might be your best option, without really having to study all of the speaker nuances. Plus, a good speaker that doesn't require external power is likely to be more expensive than a powered option.

theTastyCat

Aggie, you are a champ as always. I'll look into a powered option! I don't mind a bit running a speaker off 12v since it's going everywhere else - and beats batteries that will eventually go bad! Any recommendations?

Tonight I was running the TRX-2 in the truck on max volume while also monitoring the only agency in the area to still be on a conventional frequency on my V71a - and it was perfectly clear with the volume at about 25%. Obviously the TRX can be super-loud (as Phase II demonstrates!!) - just wish it could be for everything! The Phase II stuff is *plenty* loud at highway speed at a volume of 10.

Very best of luck in your hunt to figure this out - I know a lot of people out there would benefit!

Ubbe

....setting a narrowband FM frequency to the NFM setting will make it louder than it would be on the FM setting. However, I don't really see much of a difference....

It is actually switching the filter bandwidth but do not adjust the audio level as it should. I have reported this to
Whistler as a bug in october. You could maybe use audio boost to compensate, if that was working as intended.

/Ubbe

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
For your P25 audio, try turning off audio boost if it is enabled, and also reducing DAC gain might reduce the P25 volume level to more closely match your analog channels.

milcom_chaser

It is actually switching the filter bandwidth but do not adjust the audio level as it should. I have reported this to
Whistler as a bug in october. You could maybe use audio boost to compensate, if that was working as intended.

/Ubbe

Also, changing the setting to FM
would defeat the whole purpose of P-25/2 narrowband...

Status
Not open for further replies.