Two Way Digital Radios!! Intresting product for consumers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
Two Way Digital Radios!! -Partial Review

So i got the radios for 50 bucks (helps when you have friends at best buy that can give 40 percent off) at best buy.

My first impression, the radios look pretty nice, kinda of got the feel of the very old cell phones we used to use. Batteries were absolutely dead so i didn't get to even see if they worked right away.

Came with a headset and a charger. So after getting them both charged up, my first impressions are not to good.

You have to go through a small set up to get the radio to even work with the other radio. The Cool thing is that you have a contact list. So what you do is enter the channel number of the other radio and assign a name to it. So it don't matter if your on channel 10,000 and the other radio is on 20,001, you can just go to the contact list and hit the call button on the radio you want to talk to and you can get connected.

The reason my first impressions aren't so good is because i've ran into some issues with text messaging and when trying to call the radio, the other radio doesn't pick up.

Pics' and a full review i'll post soon.

So i guess a company called eXRS came out with the first consumer kind, digital two way radio.
This radio actually gets it's own FCC certified band on the 900mhz range. So it's not using the FRS or GRMS frequencies.

It also i guess (if in range) you can send text messages. Now what really gets me is that this device is a consumer digital radio. First of it's kind to consumers as far as i know.

So i will be going to best buy in a couple days and buying this radio and i'll post a review on here.

PRetty interesting to see this for consumers.

http://www.trisquare.us/tsx300.htm

Last edited:

n8emr

Its been out since the end of 2007 and it doesnt get its old band. Its in the part 15 900mhz band. They are all over ebay, about $90/radio. range a couple of miles.

Shortwavewave

This radio is a good idea with the text messages and all(only gets up to 80 chars), but why cant someone make a darn radio than can garentee you at least 25miles?

I know all this has to do with line of site but, it cant be that hard to make a
"free licence" 10or15 watt radio can it?

For Instance you work 10 to 25 miles from home and might like to talk to your wife "without wanting/have/needing to pay for a cell phone bill.

It shouldnt be that hard COME ON PEOPLE get with the program!!!

PLEASE dont get me wrong Im not talking about "people on this forum" just the FCC or who ever makes these darn things

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
why cant someone make a darn radio than can garentee you at least 25miles?

I know all this has to do with line of site but, it cant be that hard to make a "free licence" 10or15 watt radio can it?

For Instance you work 10 to 25 miles from home and might like to talk to your wife "without wanting/have/needing to pay for a cell phone bill.

They do, it's called a ham radio or GMRS repeater.

You need a license, but you won't get 10-15 watts from any license-free service, and you won't get 10-25 miles with low power (unless you have impressive antennas, but we know that's know what he is talking about).

sacscan

Too bad these radios weren't around when I had to use FRS. Sometimes we had idiots messing with us on the radio and it would have been nice to have "secure" radios just to avoid the people who like to do CB-style hash-n-trash.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've got a three year old set of Uniden DCT646-2 cordless phones. They are digital and they have a 'walkie talkie' feature built in.

Admittedly the primary purpose is phone, but I've used it on a couple of occasions as the two way radio. Like when my tenant and I were chasing her dog around the neighborhood.

Range isn't all that great, but like sacscan said, we didn't have the kids in the neighborhood interfering.

I did notice the price range difference. Local (sic) stores that sell the eXRS radios are Best Buy (no that is an oxymoron) and Wally World. Best Buy is $99 a pair. Wal-mart is $79 and some change.

rcvmo

I've heard these in the 'hood' on occasion.
Just like the old 46-49 MHz, MURS, FRS, GMRS only at a higher freq. What next 2.4, 5.7 GHz?
rcvmo

jon_k

I know all this has to do with line of site but, it cant be that hard to make a
"free licence" 10or15 watt radio can it?

My amateur radio HT can only do 5 watts MAX!

I seriously doubt these GMRS radios are allowed this much. They are probably capped at 0.5 or 1 watts. I've hit repeaters 30 miles away at 5 watts with my HT.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
Just bought it for 50 bucks. My friend works at best buy.

I'll post a review once i can get these things charged and tested.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
'Line of sight' for a pair of handheld radios is 4-8 miles (allowing for the 5' height of the antennas on both ends)

In any urban area, there WILL be trees and buildings blocking even this much.

No matter how much you beg, the laws of physics make the reliably-available range from HT to HT 1/2 to 2 miles in cities. Huge power levels won't help (how long will your HT battery last at 20 watts?)

Your only choices are: 1) to select your ground, operating from hilltops (I'm at about 250' above sea level. GMRS stuff 5 miles away across a bay comes quite well to an HT sitting on a dresser. Because it really IS, in 'line of sight', or very nearly. 2) Use repeaters (GMRS, Ham)

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
This will be an advantage to those who use FRS/GMRS on the Mexico-USA border (like McAllen, Laredo, El Paso, San Diego, Calexico), since those channels are already overcrowded on weekends with visitors from Mexico (and a lot of illegal activity on GMRS occurs due to ignorance and the fact that it isn't very clear that you need a GMRS license).

If these things work better than FRS/GMRS, it's a huge advantage, since in some malls it's hard to talk from end to end using the legal 0.5W (like Mall del Norte).

Josh

I know this all has been talked about here before.

But for even less money, you could purchase a pair of newer Motorola iDEN phones from eBay with the "mototalk" feature, which is also 900Mhz ISM. I bought a pair for around $40, they work good for what they are, and AMBE. No service contract required.

-Josh

mjthomas59

This will be an advantage to those who use FRS/GMRS on the Mexico-USA border (like McAllen, Laredo, El Paso, San Diego, Calexico), since those channels are already overcrowded on weekends with visitors from Mexico (and a lot of illegal activity on GMRS occurs due to ignorance and the fact that it isn't very clear that you need a GMRS license).

They are in our country illegally, so I highly doubt they are concerned with proper licensing to transmit on GMRS... maybe the FCC would do something about though, seeing as how Immigation and Customs won't boot them out unless they've committed a felony.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
They are in our country illegally, so I highly doubt they are concerned with proper licensing to transmit on GMRS... maybe the FCC would do something about though, seeing as how Immigation and Customs won't boot them out unless they've committed a felony.

No, I'm talking about those who visit the country legally for shopping.

There is no concern about licensing because it is written on the manual with a size 4 font, they're advertised as License free*, and some have simply upgraded from their old 14-ch FRS units which required absolutely no licensing. I did operate on channels 21 and 22 before learning it wasn't legal, so now I stick to 7-14 (channels which have more space now, since many people have migrated over to channels 20-22).

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Motorola Low Power Digital HTs

In case you've not seen it, the Motorola DTR410 is their entry level, non configurable:

# 1 Watt
# 900 MHz ISM license-free band
# Digital one-to-many group call
# Frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS)
# Public group calling - up to 5 public groups
# Battery gauge
# Lithium ion battery—up to14.5 hours of operation per full charge
# Public group call name aliasing - (via optional Mini Keyboard)
# Rugged, compact -polycarbonate housing with rubber overmold for comfort
# Meets military 810 C, D, E, and F
# 2-pin audio accessory jack with captive connector cover
Connector programming interface with captive connector cover
# Full-graphic backlit display with contrast adjustment and backlight timer
# Daily alarm
# Caller ID
# Recent call list - last 20 transmissions
# Up to 5 group contact list
# Unit-to-unit configuration cloning (via optional Cloning Cable)
# Coverage of up to 300,000 sq. ft. or 25 floors

Product Includes:

# Desktop charger
# NiMH battery (1500 mAh)
# 3-Hour desktop charger
# Swivel holster with quick release belt clip
# User Manual
# One Year Limited Warranty

Check http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...cuments/Static Files/9980384R89-O_DTR_ENG.pdf for their DTR-550/650 that allow 20 PRIVATE groups. I saw that they also have 2.4gHz models. The 900MHz units seem to be pretty much the same range as FRS units, so I'm told.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
Don't GET THESE!! They are not digital but still analog. Yes they use frequency hopping but the range is horrible compared the the Motorola FRS radios i have.

Gonna be returning these bricks back

Status
Not open for further replies.