Two ways used in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
FF026 Check your private messages or drop me a message, I have a question for you.

Thanks

Jim

MarkHam2B

kb9tfh said:
Anyone know what models of radios are being used by the NYPD?
The different types of radios are quite varied. For patrol personnel, you will find them using one of the following portables:
Motorola SSE5000
Motorola Saber 1
Motorola Saber 1E
Motorola Saber 2
Vertex VX-520 UD

Supervisory personnel may be seen with the Vertex VX-800 non DTMF portable. Officers assigned to ESU are carrying the Vertex VX-537, though during the 2004 RNC, they were seen with Motorola SSE5000's, XTS5000's and Astro Sabers. In addition, mobile radios may be Motorola Spectra's or Vertex VX-4000's.

Auxiliary Police Personnel are usually utilizing Motorola Saber 1's. School Safety Agents are currently transitioning from Motorola HT1000 to Motorola XTS1500 portables. Traffic Enforcement Agents have mixed use of the Motorola Saber 1 and the Vertex VX-520.

Over at FDNY, a variety of XTS3500R's are used. Personnel from EMS are seen with XTS3000's and Astro Saber 3's.

Hopefully this helps.

AlexC

Database Admin
I think Mark hit that nail on the head.

The only time I've seen officers walking around with SSE's was 2004 during the RNC.

I see almost all the transit folks with GE, the subway details usually are using saber 1's.

Everyone I talk to or bump in to while in the city is still relying on Saber 1's, no one has really seen/played with the SSE portables.

I don't see many of the vertex's - the subway guys seem to use those the most (e.g. train operators, station agents (on the rare occassion you actually see one doing something), etc.)

PATH is starting to give their red jackets XTS2500's Model II's. I wonder if they are planning a switchover to something - or just buying them since they can't buy HT1000's anymore.

ff026

Feed Provider
i have personally used an SSE during a traffic detail in 2005. great radio with a lot of Audio output.

MarkHam2B

I personally have used in hand an SSE5000 until March of this year. I have to agree with ff, that the audio output FAR surpasses what the Vertex 520's crank out. Most recently, I've noticed a few Queens commands as well as Highway Patrol using the SSE5000.

The transit folks at commuter rail stations like Penn Station or Grand Central sporting the GE or M/A-COM portables are not part of the NYPD. Those would be officers from the MTA Police Department. NYPD Officers assigned to the Transit Bureau in the subways are currently using VHF Saber 1's. PAPD Officers on PATH or other Port Authority facilities currently have HT1000's, though I would expect that to change soon.

New York City Transit Authority employees can be seen with relatively newly issued Vertex VX-600's. PATH 'red jackets' have had a range of radios from Motorola HT1000's to XTS 2500 & XTS 5000's! Why a customer service employee would need an XTS 5000 is beyond me, but if I didn't see it myself, I wouldn't believe it either.

AlexC

Database Admin
I haven't seen any red jackets with 5000's yet - but i turned my head when I saw one with a 2500. My bad on the GE stuff with the MTA - your right.

I wouldn't mind checking out one of the SSE's. I've seen them only on officers belts, and I don't think asking would be that good of an idea.

My friend in the 110 was carrying a saber last I saw her.

-Alex

gusterlg

Vertex

Does anyone know who the NYPD bought the Vertex UHF radios from in late 1999/early 2000?

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
OK,

I have answered this question many times, but I will again for accuracy and to clear a few things up. Up until recently I was assigned to Div 1 in Soho, and worked occaisionally as a chiefs aide.

Radios I carried:

XTS 3500R Mod III (job Handy Talkie, fireground freqs)
Motorola Saber I submersible (Citywide, Manhattan Dispatch)
Motorola STX-821 (800 Mhz radio)
Vertex VX-800 (Interop radio)
Additional XTS-3500R Mod III (FAST unit radio)

In addition as a courtesy for the Chief Officer I would also carry:
Chief's Interop radio vx-800
POST radio

Yes they issue a tin foil hat with this job:)

Also there is an additional mobile radio in the command post on Manhattan Freqs and many Bat and Div vehicles are equipped with a mobile repeater, so there is yet another VHF XTS radio to carry.

We have just recently replaced the Saber I with an XTS 3000 in VHF as the Citywide radio. The shops are refusing to fix our Sabers if they need anything more than a battery or antenna. Also some Bats and Divs have XTS 3000 instead of the STX-821. Certain Bats also have either a Saber or XTS on marine VHF freqs.

On the Police side:

I have seen Vertex VX-510, 520 and 537 on Patrol and bosses carrying the vx-800. I am under the impression that individual officers are being issued the 537 and are being held responsible for their individual radios.

I have also seen in the past the vx-10 carried by bosses. I don't know if these were job issued.

For historical purposes we just discussed this on another list. The NYPD has had many models:

First: HT200's....Mid 1960's
Then HT220's in VHF
Then HT220's in UHF,
then MX's, then SABERS
Then Vertex

They also used about 250 GE M-PS portables in Temporary Headquarters Vehicles circa 1985-86, but they were removed when the Sabers hit the street.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.