TX DPS - How to Program PRO-197 for DPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimineer

Premium Subscriber
I can't figure out how to program my pro 197 for texas DPS correctly, I dont think. I live near PGBT so I would expect to hear something. I basically programmed in all the "P25" frequencies as a TSYS and created a single TGRP in scanlist 1 for this TSYS.

Any ideas? Or maybe an explanation of how the TX DPS system works. It is APCO 25 correct? Got the frequencies off the radioreference website.

BTW, live in Richardson, would assume the Garland site to be nearest for Collin and Dallas counties????

THANKS IN ADVANCE

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I can't figure out how to program my pro 197 for texas DPS correctly, I dont think. I live near PGBT so I would expect to hear something. I basically programmed in all the "P25" frequencies as a TSYS and created a single TGRP in scanlist 1 for this TSYS.

Any ideas? Or maybe an explanation of how the TX DPS system works. It is APCO 25 correct? Got the frequencies off the radioreference website.

BTW, live in Richardson, would assume the Garland site to be nearest for Collin and Dallas counties????

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Jimineer,
TX DPS would not be programmed as a TSYS (trunked system). It is conventional. There has been some discussions here that (eventually) DPS may move to a semi-statewide trunked system, but that is not even on the funding map as yet. Perhaps that's what misled you.

What you need to do is enter the frequencies you want as conventional objects. You need to enter both the base frequency, as well as the mobile. Unlike most of the other agencies (for example, Richardson), DPS often operates in duplex mode. The base transmits on one frequency, and the mobile answers on a different one. You most have both frequencies programmed, and also be withing range of the mobile, to hear both sides of the conversation.However, they are also capable of operating in repeater mode (like Richardson, Dallas, and most other systems). When this mode is used, you would hear both sides of the conversation on the same frequency, that of the base.

As always, there's an exception. For units out of normal range of the dispatch office, communication is made through a mobile repeater. One nearby example is Denton. The troopers also frequently use the sheriff's office frequencies where they are assigned. Also, radio traffic is much reduced now, due to widespread use of MDT's in the cars for routine traffic.

The regular DPS frequencies are all digital. Enter them as conventional objects, Squelch mode NAC and then enter the NAC code shown.

For the units assigned to the tollways (PGBT & Dallas North), those are also conventional, but not digital. Again, a conventional object, 155.445 for the main frequency, squelch mode CTCSS, and enter the PL tone, which is 107.2.

Are you using software, or programming manually?

Jimineer

Premium Subscriber
Jimineer,
TX DPS would not be programmed as a TSYS (trunked system). It is conventional. There has been some discussions here that (eventually) DPS may move to a semi-statewide trunked system, but that is not even on the funding map as yet. Perhaps that's what misled you.

What you need to do is enter the frequencies you want as conventional objects. You need to enter both the base frequency, as well as the mobile. Unlike most of the other agencies (for example, Richardson), DPS often operates in duplex mode. The base transmits on one frequency, and the mobile answers on a different one. You most have both frequencies programmed, and also be withing range of the mobile, to hear both sides of the conversation.However, they are also capable of operating in repeater mode (like Richardson, Dallas, and most other systems). When this mode is used, you would hear both sides of the conversation on the same frequency, that of the base.

As always, there's an exception. For units out of normal range of the dispatch office, communication is made through a mobile repeater. One nearby example is Denton. The troopers also frequently use the sheriff's office frequencies where they are assigned. Also, radio traffic is much reduced now, due to widespread use of MDT's in the cars for routine traffic.

The regular DPS frequencies are all digital. Enter them as conventional objects, Squelch mode NAC and then enter the NAC code shown.

For the units assigned to the tollways (PGBT & Dallas North), those are also conventional, but not digital. Again, a conventional object, 155.445 for the main frequency, squelch mode CTCSS, and enter the PL tone, which is 107.2.

Are you using software, or programming manually?

Thanks for the very helpful response. I have PSREdit(?) and Win500 trial versions. Last night I programmed as conventional object and CTCSS as you indicated. I never received any transmissions but maybe it is just my location. Now that I am on the right track, I'll play around with it some more. Thanks again!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the very helpful response. I have PSREdit(?) and Win500 trial versions. Last night I programmed as conventional object and CTCSS as you indicated. I never received any transmissions but maybe it is just my location. Now that I am on the right track, I'll play around with it some more. Thanks again!!
You would only use the CTCSS mode for the frequency of the tollway units. For all the others, use squelch mode "NAC", which is the correct one for digital transmissions.

Try the attached file. When you save it to your pc, remove the extra "txt" extension, which is required to make it a file type acceptable to the site.

The attachment is named (without the quotes) "Tx DPS.p500.txt"
When you save it, save it simply as "Tx DPS.p500" (again, without the quotes). Just leave off the 'txt' at the end.

You can open this file, as well as your current file, in WIN500, and copy the DPS entries into your file. All that this file is, is basically the TX DPS channel plan. I have text-tagged the bases (like Dallas), and certain mobile repeaters (such as Waxahachie, Aledo, & Denton), as well as a few others, that I should be able to receive at home, at work, or in areas that I travel/visit fairly frequently. I've also left a few of the old analog channels, which should be no longer used (according to most reports), just in case some of the old radios and/or their frequencies get put to use in some sort of emergency situation.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
To clarify a little:

CTCSS/PL/DCS are used for analog transmissions. DPS used to use CTCSS (and still does in analog transmissions on the Tollway).

NAC is for P25 and is currently what is in use on the digital conventional frequencies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a nice DPS statewide file in WIN500 if you want it. I sold my Digital scanners so I don't need it anymore.

al95

MaxTracker PM win-500 DPS File Please

I have a nice DPS statewide file in WIN500 if you want it. I sold my Digital scanners so I don't need it anymore.

Hello
MaxTracker can you PM DPS file for the Win-500 software please. Thank-You

Last edited:

bigricx87

im having a problem with my pro 197 also help me pleas!!

ok i was having some problems for a while geting my pro 197 scanner to pick up at all"for texas city tx DPS"well after a while i tryed and put in the input as well as the fequency now im half way there im picking up our dispatch put not any patrol officers..on the list for texas city there is a listing of 6 that show the tone all the others do not is this were iv gone wrong?missing the others tone?somone please take a look at the list for texas city dps and get back to me..i need a fresh start and just cant get it. its driving me crazy..im picking up all of the p25 "i beleave" not shore. when i pick up dispatch it show the tags listed but no response for an officer and never here him make the call to dispatch..only geting half of the conversation..

bigricx87

i am having trouble also with my pro 197.i finaly was able to get somthing after puting in both the input and the fequency.but im only picking up dispatch and only the fequencies on the list that have the tone listed and mode is p25..some on the list do not have anything in the tone i do not know what to put.can somone please check out texas city DPS and take a look at what i may be doing wrong.pleas send feedback..dannycoy1960@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.