Tx NXDN VHF/UHF repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr4k

Premium Subscriber
I have a two Kenwood NXDN repeaters on the air for a while. 145.2700- and 440.6250+, both using 6.25 kHz NXDN requiring RAN 13. They are in EM00th, near Johnson City, TX. Anyone in the area is welcome to try them. You can usually hit them from the higher locations in Austin.

Both are sometimes interconnected via IP, and I am conducting other experiments with them, such as the native digital chat mode. Been testing the coverage in NXDN and analog modes, and the NXDN does quite well.

The VHF repeater is interfaced with a Codan NGT-SR ALE HF radio using the Codan 3031 Crosspatch. I will have more details on that when fully tested. I also plan to test a direct data control function for the Codan and a TS-480 via the VHF repeater.

Also, I will be testing a third VHF repeater, remotely located in Austin. This allows me to test the VPN and other routing issues.

The repeaters are here for a while between field testing on another project.

73/gus kr4k

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I applaud your efforts to move amateur radio out of the 1960's by using new technology. I doubt you will get much of a response since anything newer than an IC-2AT is scary to a lot of OF's and the like.

My hat's off to you. Good luck.

n1das

I applaud your efforts to move amateur radio out of the 1960's by using new technology. I doubt you will get much of a response since anything newer than an IC-2AT is scary to a lot of OF's and the like.

My hat's off to you. Good luck.

I too have "graduated" to digital. No more analog-only equipment for me. All future radio equipment I own shall have digital capabilities. I currently have APCO-25 (P25) digital capability on VHF and NXDN digital capability on UHF.

I have a 440 repeater at a ham friend's house in VT. It's currently analog and was home brewed using a pair of Icom commercial mobiles. It works well but I'm planning to eventually replace it with an Icom iDAS UHF repeater when finances permit.

I also have a Kenwood NEXEDGE NXR-800 (UHF) repeater on GMRS in analog mode. The NXR-800 is a 5W exciter and I'm using an external amp with it to get 50W output.

Icom's iDAS is equivalent to Kenwood's NEXEDGE in 6.25k conventional mode. Both are NXDN. The iDAS repeater has 6.25k NXDN / analog mixed mode capability. Kenwood currently doesn't have digital/analog mixed mode capability with 6.25k digital. With Kenwood, it's 6.25k digital only (no mixed mode) when in 6.25k digital mode.

Icom iDAS supports 6.25k digital only, 6.25k digital / 12.5k or 25k analog mixed mode, and 12.5k and 25k analog modes. Kenwood supports 6.25k digital only (no mixed mode), 12.5k digital / 12.5k analog mixed mode, and analog-only 12.5k and 25k modes. One little weird thing with the iDAS repeater is the tail has to drop to change between analog and digital modes. It will key up in either mode but can't switch modes while still on the air. The Kenwood NEXEDGE repeater OTOH will readily switch between analog and digital modes while on the air in 12.5k digital / 12.5k analog mixed mode. I like how Kenwood did it but I wish the Kenwoods offered 6.25k digital / 12.5k analog mixed mode operation.

My next NXDN repeater will be to replace the 440 repeater and it will be an Icom iDAS repeater and will be set up in 6.25k digital / analog mixed mode.

Last edited:

N5XPM

I have a site in Round Mountain, Texas North of Johnson City that I am considering putting a NXDN 2 meter on. Would like to hear more about your NXDN experiences if you have some time to share.

stevelton

Just a little FYI, there is 1 NXDN mix mode 440 ham repeater near Monticello, IL, and our ARES group will be upgrading our 440 ham repeater to NXDN later this year (We are located in Southern IL).

dmaria

I belong to the club that maintains the repeater in Monticello and I am interested in the details of the upgrade to your repeater. What are you planning for a for a repeater (Kenwood or Icom) and what variety of HTs or mobiles have been discussed? Also, where is the repeater located and what frequencies will it be running?

Thanks,
Dave
K9DPM
WQNR758

Astro25

I like how Kenwood did it but I wish the Kenwoods offered 6.25k digital / 12.5k analog mixed mode operation.

The Nexedge repeaters will operate as such. I put up yet another conventional NXDN site just last week and it's running 6.25 NXDN / 12.5 Analog mixed mode just fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.