Mentor
Premium Subscriber
How active is it?
That depends on two things-
Which one you're talking about (there are two TxWARN systems),
and
Where you are.

The older, analog, system, is this one:
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola Trunking System, Metro Houston area, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
That's mostly cities and counties in the Houston metro area.

The newer P25 (digital) one is this:
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Again, there are a number of agencies in the Houston area, but if you look at the talkgroups, you'll see other counties extending northward on this system, such as the Bryan-College Station area.

The old, analog, ETMC system has pretty much been dismantled. ETMC has merged most of their operations in the northeast Texas area into the TxWARN P25 system.Besides ETMC, Tyler, Smith County, and some of the smaller cities there, have also moved to the P25 system. So has Longview. McLennan County has moved over as well. Waco has begun to switch from their own system to a site on the TxWARN P25 system (this used to be an ETMC analog site). Waxahachie had talkgroups assigned on the new system, and up to a few weeks ago were still using the old ETMC analog site in Ellis County. Bur then, instead, they have dropped off the trunked system altogether and moved to their own 800Mhz conventional channels.

From Cleburne, I doubt you'd be able to hear the nearest TxWARN P25 site (there are no sites for the other, analog, system within 150-200 miles). Your closest site would be the 700Mhz one in Kaufman. There is another site in Athens. There are a number of sites east of Kaufman, to cover the primary ETMC areas.

I can occasionaly get the Kaufman site here in Dallas, but just barely. It does cover the main part of Ellis County fairly well. Primay traffic on that site would be EMS related, with occasion transmissions out of the Tyler/Smith County area if one of those units is close enough to affiliate with the tower. If you were in the Tyler area, this system (TxWARN P25) is where you'd here all of the Tyler PD/FD, & Smith County radio communications. The same goes for Longview- they use this system.But you would not normally hear them, unless you were in their area.

I would have this system in your scanner, since you previously asked about Kaufman & Henderson Counties.Just be sure & pick the talkgroups that are local to the area. You would not here the units out of the Houston, or Bryan area, for instance, unless one of them was up in this area for some reason (picking up a prisoner, for instance). I do keep this system in my scanners, for when I am out & about, especially when I'm south of Dallas.

Do you have Tx DPS programmed?

N5AMS

last i heard DPS Rarely uses the Tg's on TxWARN but the system is very active depending on the tower your listening too

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ETMC- Ellis County

txscan,
In answer to your other question (from the closed thread), ETMC is still using the analog Ellis County site on the old analog system for now. I still had that site in my HP-1, and had been hearing some calls. Confirmed this evening that it was ETMC, in Ellis County, transporting a patient to the Ennis hospital. ETMC still handles much of the county, though I believe that at least one of the ESD's switched to Careflite for ground ambulance coverage months ago. That could have changed, as I don't closely monitor EMS in that county.

I don't get reliable enough reception on the TxWARN P25 site out of Kaufman to see if any of the Ellis County traffic is carried on that system as well. It'll take a trip down there to see. I'm just on the ragged edge of the Kaufman's site signal pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.