Txdot El paso 800 mhz freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
In the db it seems El paso has a few 800 mhz tx dot chanels. Are these voice channels or used for other purposes? How about the low band?

nd5y

TxDOT used low band for all communications in most parts of the state. A few places like El Paso had high band repeaters back in the 70's even before the DPS moved to high band.

When I lived in El Paso over 30 years ago I seem to remember an equal amount of traffic on low band and high band. Back then all I ever found was the 151.055 repeater and two low band channels. 47.18 was channel 1 and had the most traffic. 47.06 was channel 2 and was the statweide base-to-base frequency.

I don't know what they used 800 MHz for in El Paso. They had two licenses first issued in 2001.
WPOY545 (TEXAS, STATE OF; TEXAS DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION) FCC Callsign Details
WPSN631 (TEXAS, STATE OF; TEXAS DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION) FCC Callsign Details
That was long after I moved away and the licenses were cancelled last month so they were probably not used for anything recently.

Around 10-15 years ago they started putting high band dual mode P25 repeaters everywhere. Some or maybe all of them are IP networked. They built a bunch of new 180' self supporting towers in many places. Around that time they started letting low band licenses expire or cancelling them. Most of the trucks in the Fort Worth and Wichita Falls districts had the low band antennas removed a few years after the high band repeaters were installed but the towers still have low band antennas. I don't know if there is any low band left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.