TXDPS are they for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
TXDPS Radio shop is testing a new MIDLAND P25 radio on the SS repeater. It sounded good too. Midland used to have a lot of Public Safety customers in the 70's .... The new Midland is being Distributed by someone else, As is the NEW maxon, I wonder if these two will pop out a decent P25 product and give Motorola, iCOM, BK/Relm and Vertex a run for their money?

DPS8504

TXDPS Radio shop is testing a new MIDLAND P25 radio on the SS repeater. It sounded good too. Midland used to have a lot of Public Safety customers in the 70's .... The new Midland is being Distributed by someone else, As is the NEW maxon, I wonder if these two will pop out a decent P25 product and give Motorola, iCOM, BK/Relm and Vertex a run for their money?

We are trying to find some less expensive radios other than Motorola. The EF Johnson we tested left a lot to be desired. Motorola has come up with a new tri-band radio I saw at the Homeland Security conference in San Antonio in February. Has a hefty price tag.

SCPD

QRT
We are trying to find some less expensive radios other than Motorola. The EF Johnson we tested left a lot to be desired. Motorola has come up with a new tri-band radio I saw at the Homeland Security conference in San Antonio in February. Has a hefty price tag.

Thanks Scooter - looks like your new director of Communications might really change TXDPS communications for the better finally.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Most DPS officers don't even have handhelds for DPS dispatch. They only have handhelds for the local systems (at least in Harris and Waller County).

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber

You are talking about the APX7000 double faced radio. As of right now I think they are only making them in VHF/800 but they have plans to make them tri-band.

SCPD

QRT
You are talking about the APX7000 double faced radio. As of right now I think they are only making them in VHF/800 but they have plans to make them tri-band.

Huh? I don't think so - I have an APX in my hand now and it covers VHF/UHF/800/700 now.

redhelm - The rumors say DPS will integrate into the 700MHz regional systems for metro coverage and are seriously looking at VHF trunking when P25 Phase-II becomes a reality.

VictorXray

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I have an APX in my hand now and it covers VHF/UHF/800/700 now.

Sorry Max, I'm calling you out on that one. The APX7000 is a dualband radio, either V+7/800 or U+7/800. There isn't real estate for 3 separate RF decks.

DPS8504

You will begin to see DPS on several systems. Once the Tri-Band radio is tested and if it works successfully, it will be placed into our fleet. The one I saw in San Antonio, was Motorola, I don't remember the model number, but it was VHF/700/800. Technology is changing so fast it is hard to keep up with all the new changes and new equipment that is available. And the main problem obtaining it is $$$$. Our agency is cutting back on the budget at the Govenor has ask all state agencies to do, but with the bad guys having more and more money, the battle is getting tougher all the time.l

redhelmet13

You will begin to see DPS on several systems. Once the Tri-Band radio is tested and if it works successfully, it will be placed into our fleet. The one I saw in San Antonio, was Motorola, I don't remember the model number, but it was VHF/700/800. Technology is changing so fast it is hard to keep up with all the new changes and new equipment that is available. And the main problem obtaining it is $$$$. Our agency is cutting back on the budget at the Govenor has ask all state agencies to do, but with the bad guys having more and more money, the battle is getting tougher all the time.l

Too many social entitlements... But that is for the Tavern... I just wish Gov. P would make public safety top of the essential list of what NOT to cut. Hang in there.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
...and whoever approved post #1 should have read the title of the thread he was trying to post to.

This deserved it's own thread or to be tacked on to another thread, such as this one, which was active as of this past March.

medley,

As of this past March a few of us had speculated that Sheppard became linked with the San Antonio Military SmartZone trunking system. It appears it is now Site 9 of that system (which involves most military sites in San Anto). We'd like to identify Site 8 also.

If you have any other questions about this topic, they'd probably be better suited in that thread.

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin

Such as?

We are installing a statewide VHF P25 system and EFJ is the site equipment vendor. If there were legit technical issues, I'd like to know what those are.

Status
Not open for further replies.