TXU/Oncor - DFW Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Here are some of my notes from listening way too much to the Grapevine and Fort Worth TXU/Oncor sites over the past several days. I keep hoping to hear my work address’s power being fully restored.

http://www.bensware.com/scandfw/TXUOncor.htm

I imagine that the “Storm” channels are not necessarily always going to be for a particular area. I believe the “Trouble” channels are routinely used for particular areas. I’d love to see a real channel list if anyone ever comes across one.

If you catch em around 0800 and have a scanner that displays radio IDs, it’s handy to be able to see where they end up, when they’re assigned to another channel. It’s tough to do with so many sites and channels though.
Ben

SCPD

QRT
Ben, Can you tell if there is any Fort Hood communications still used on this system?

And no, DOC-4 is not EAST DOC. E-DOC-1 is 00-111 and Well heard off Caddo Mills, Desert and Sherman. I listen to Desert its only 8 miles from me.

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Ben, Can you tell if there is any Fort Hood communications still used on this system?

And no, DOC-4 is not EAST DOC. E-DOC-1 is 00-111 and Well heard off Caddo Mills, Desert and Sherman. I listen to Desert its only 8 miles from me.

I haven't heard any Fort Hood stuff. As I understand it, I would not hear them, unless someone up this way was tuned to one of their channels.

Thanks for the input.
Ben

SCPD

QRT
Pretty much no unless they were in convoy and the system was opened up. I scan the Desert tower and it's more quiet now since oncor is going to Data Dispatch. I've even noticed the towers are not open networked as much as they used to be. The only times now Desert is opened into DR or DOC in Dallas is when weather events require them to be.

DR=Dallas Region
DOC=Dispatch Operations Center

nd5y

A few years ago somebody posted either here or dfwscan that TXU (back then) kicked everybody else off of their system because EDACS has a limited number of radio IDs and they were running out.
I don't know if that is true or not. I do know that several times last summer I was able to hear the new Fort Hood 380 MHz P25 system and it had a lot of traffic on it that probably corresponds to most of the talkgroups listed on the Oncor system.
I think that Fort Hood has moved everybody off of the Oncor system and on to their own system, but I can't verify it.
Apparently nobody in Central TX has ever verifired it and had the Ft Hood stuff removed from the database.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
ND5Y,

I can hear Fort Hood on their P25 system nearly 50 miles away. Of course this system can't be used in convoys further away than that. But MP, FD, range control, etc, etc, many of the groups listed on the Oncor system, are all very active on the Fort Hood system. I've never heard them on the Oncor system. Perhaps they'll get access to the overlay.

Careflite got kicked of the TXU system about the same time, I heard for the same reason you posted.

Russell

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
The reason I had asked was I too have not heard a peep out of Ft. Hood on Oncor. And If indeed they are not there any longer would it be safe to remove that portion of the system from the database?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
We should not be too eager to remove "old" data. The new system is far from well documented and the Oncor channel data may very well help us figure out the new Fort Hood system. Also, the new system only covers the immediate Fort Hood area, they could very well still have access to the Oncor system when traveling across wide areas. We don't know for sure it can't be used for wide area comms.

Perhaps, when all the 700 MHz overlays are in place and all the regional systems are interconnected and provide full interoperability, we may very well see Fort Hood users using this system for wide area ops.

One fundamental problem with web as opposed to, say books, is we could always refer back to a previous edition of a book to see how the systems used to be set up. When deleting data from a real time database, the data is gone forever, just like it was never there and we lose good info.

It would be nice to be able to see supposedly obsolete data on any system if we wanted instead of removing it from existence. There are many times I wanted to see the "old" data but simply couldn't because it had been deleted rather than marked obsolete and filtered from the "normal" display. Maybe it's time for a feature request. Rather than delete data, move it to history tables.

Russell

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.