TxWarn Project 25 Scanner Compatibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerbert

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at getting a new scanner that can pick up the TxWarn P25 frequencies: Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Now that I'm looking at it closer, the system type is Project 25 Phase II with APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive. Does this mean I would need one of the newer scanners such as the Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536HP?

I was originally going to go with the BCD996XT, but I don't think I'll be able to hear this system on that now. I just wanted to confirm if this is true. Would I need one of the newer scanners that can listen to phase II in order to hear this system or could some of the channels be phase I?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at getting a new scanner that can pick up the TxWarn P25 frequencies: Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Now that I'm looking at it closer, the system type is Project 25 Phase II with APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive. Does this mean I would need one of the newer scanners such as the Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536HP?

I was originally going to go with the BCD996XT, but I don't think I'll be able to hear this system on that now. I just wanted to confirm if this is true. Would I need one of the newer scanners that can listen to phase II in order to hear this system or could some of the channels be phase I?
Welcome to RadioReference, scannerbert

Which scanner you'll "need" would largely depend on where you're located (what city/county) and what you want to listen to.

You definitely need a digital trunking scanner, If you are in the Houston Metro area, and want to have the option of monitoring everything that is not encrypted (those talkgroups with an "E" in the "Mode" column), then, yes, you'd need to be looking at the 436HP, 536HP, a PSR-800, or the equivalent Whistler model to the PSR-800 which should be out in the next few months. One of those scanners is needed to monitor any talkgroup labeled with a "T" in the mode column.

Now, here's where the decision gets a bit fuzzy. If you are in a different area, covered by this system, say one of the counties farther north from the Houston area, or here in North Texas, in the Tyler-Longview area, the 396XT, a Home Patrol 1, 996XT, or several other digital trunk trackers would work just fime. Only Phase I digital talkgroups are in use at this time (labeled with a "D" in the mode column). Also note that while Houston Police and Fire are using Phase II talkgroups (those labeled "T"), they also have some that are Phase I ("D"), monitorable with the 396XT and others. See this article for an explanation.

We have other systems here in North Texas, such as the PAWM system that includes Plano, and Frisco's TRS, that are labeled as Phase II, because they are capable of Phase II operation, but that is not in current use, and no plans have been announced for the immediate future to change. The 396XT & others work just fine for these as well.

scannerbert

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the Dallas area looking to pickup ETMC along with TxDOT and DPS agencies. So, it looks like a 996XT would work for these as they're in the Digital Talkgroup ("D").

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm in the Dallas area looking to pickup ETMC along with TxDOT and DPS agencies. So, it looks like a 996XT would work for these as they're in the Digital Talkgroup ("D").
I'm in Dallas, and can monitor the Kaufman TxWARN P25 site with my 396XT (the handheld sibling to the 996XT) and my HP-1. While I have an external antenna, the Kaufman site is strong enough that much of the time, I can get it on the handheld with the R/S 800MHz antenna. Occasionally, you'll hear Tyler area TX DPS units on this site.

Also note that you can still hear quite a bit of ETMC activity on the Ellis County ETMC site. They never converted that site over to a digital TxWARN site, like the Athens and Tyler area sites were changed.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Yeah the TxWARN page is a little misleading as not all of them are Phase II. EMTC is listed under TxWARN because their system is part of TxWARN but they are P25 Phase I. So like mentioned you can get the Kaufman Co repeater for ETMC on the 396/996 no problem. Ellis Co is still analog but it is only for Ennis which is the 940 boxes. Everything else is P25 digital which you can pick up all of ETMC regardless where they are posted from the Kaufman Repeater. DPS you can get too with those scanners under the DPS Garland Repeater.

The PAWM site is Plano, Allen, Wylie, McKinney and then some other smaller cities are under that as well. McKinney is the only one that is P25 Phase II but they have InterOp channels for M/A. Frisco isn't part of the PAWM system and they are P25 Phase II but they don't work everything Phase II.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Actually, the McKinney system is listed as "X2-TDMA", which was Motorola's 'beta' version, for lack of a better term, of true Phase II. But like the Plano system, PAWM, and Frisco's, it's a case of the system being categorized based on control channel data analysis of system capability, not what's actually used. Yes, it could use the X2-TDMA talkgroups (or Phase II on PAWM or Frisco), but none are active or have been identified as being used on any of these three systems. McKinney PD, as has been mentioned a number of times, is encrypted, so they cannot be monitored in any case, unless someone happens to transmit in the clear.

compusave

I'm looking at replacing my old Pro-97 with a BCD436HP. will this allow me to listen to Smith County Sherrif's dept? Tyler Police Dept? I'm in 75707.
is this the best portable or should I be looking at something else?

thanks in advance!
Paul

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at replacing my old Pro-97 with a BCD436HP. will this allow me to listen to Smith County Sherrif's dept? Tyler Police Dept? I'm in 75707.
is this the best portable or should I be looking at something else?

thanks in advance!
Paul

Go for the 436. I have one, and it is a VERY good scanner, IMHO. And yes, it'll allow you to listen to those agencies.

compusave

it looks like everything here is txwarn and non of it is encrypted?
anyone here in the tyler area?

Last edited:

tex2

Ok can I get someone to help with just getting one city to scan I live in harris county and I can hear a lot of channels. But all I want to hear is La Porte which is on a p25 phase 2 system. I have a 436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.