TxWARN Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjhamilton

I am under the impression that the system is currently being re-banded site by site. I have several questions that I hope someone could help me out with. First off what is involved with the re-banding process? Secondly I currently use Motorola spectras and from what I have been told will no longer work once the re-banding process is complete. What about the process renders the radios useless? Lastly what scanner can I use to monitor the new re-banded system? What features on the scanner are necessary for it to work on the new system? Thanks in advance for everyone's help and expertise.

n5ims

Many of the rebanding questions are answered in the RR WIKI here --> Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

What causes issues with scanners and radios are the frequency for some channel numbers were changed. The issue is the frequency for channel xxx prior to rebanding will be one frequency and after rebanding it will be another frequency, so when the trunking system tells the radio to move to one of the changed channels, it will go to the wrong frequency unless the modified frequency table is loaded onto the radio. Newer radios (and scanners) have coding to handle and space reserved for the necessary table(s) while older ones may not.

The RR WIKI articles for the various radio models generally include if a scanner supports rebanding or not. If your scanner does support rebanding, you simply need to change your programming to include the changed frequencies and add the rebanding table information (or simply flag the system as being rebanded, depending on your specific scanner's instructions).

If your radio doesn't support rebanding, all may not be lost since some systems will still work fine and others may generally work, but have a few channels that may not. In those cases your scanner may move to a wierd frequency that's not associated with your system (due to it moving to the old frequency for that specific channel number) and return when that frequency clears up (often quickly since it may not be in use in your area), when the system is done with that transmission, or some combination of the two (depending upon the how your scanner works).

I have a local system that rebanded and only a single channel is one that needs the rebanding table for it to work correctly. On my newer scanners, it works fine once it was reprogrammed. On my older ones that don't have rebanding support, it works fine until that one frequency is in use. The scanner then goes to that wierd frequency for a few seconds and then returns to scan the system normally. I miss a few transmissions, but otherwise it's hard to tell that anything is different.

Another local system has rebanded and every frequency was changed to those that require the rebanding table for it to work right. On that system I can only listen to it using my newer scanners, not my older ones. I am able to program the individual frequencies on the older scanners, but only as conventional channels so the trunking part doesn't work on it and although I can hear the transmissions, they jump around so it's difficult to make sense of the traffic unless the response is quick enough that the system keeps it on the same frequency.

gjhamilton

Thanks for the quick reply. I found that link after I posted my question. After reading the article I have decided that I am going to get a couple of the psr-410's. Can they be programmed to automatically switch from tower to tower as my position changes??

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Do you have to enter a custom frequency table for the Type II rebanded systems on a 396XT? If so, what are they?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Do you have to enter a custom frequency table for the Type II rebanded systems on a 396XT? If so, what are they?
If it's a Type II system (not P25), then yes, you do have to enter the custom tables.

Plan low freq high
1 851.025MHz 854.000MHz offset 440 polarity + 25 kHz

2 851.0125MHz 868.9875MHz offset 0 + 25 kHz

Also found here.

In FreeScan, the correct plan will come up when you change system type to "Mot Custom/Reband Type II".

Status
Not open for further replies.