Type column in database

Status
Not open for further replies.

egloskerry

I've searched, looked through the FAQ and stickies, nothing. I know this is really simple, but I don't know it. In the database, what does the "type" column mean? I've figured out that A is analog and D is digital, but what about other abbreviations? RM, M, R, B, BM, RMF. I'm traveling to Pittsburgh soon and just want to know which freqs I should program into my analog trunking (Pro-95) scanner. I don't want to waste a whole bunch of time programming in digital freqs. Thanks.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
These are the station classes used on the freq listed in the first column and can be used in any combination (preferred use is first).

RM - Repeaters and mobiles
M - mobiles
R - repeaters
B - base (usually not a repeater)
BM - bases and mobiles (usually not repeated, but can be)
RMF - repeater, mobile or fixed (control)

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
A mobile is a portable or radio in a vehicle.
A base is a fixed radio at an office or remotely located on top of a mountain. Typically there is a phone line or microwave point-to-point link when the transmitter is consider a "remote base".
A repeater receives on one frequency and restransmits on another. They're located on top of a mountain or tall point.
Fixed indicates there is a fixed RF link specifically setup to operate the transmitter or repeater at a remote location (uses a yagi [directional] antenna). The link uses a standard FM frequency (i.e., not microwave or a phone line).

egloskerry

Alright, I didn't want to start another thread for such a dumb question: In the database, what do I do with the tone? Is it able to be programmed into the scanner to have it tune to that freq automatically?

n4yek

Alright, I didn't want to start another thread for such a dumb question: In the database, what do I do with the tone? Is it able to be programmed into the scanner to have it tune to that freq automatically?

The tone refers to the pl or dcs tone utilized by the agency using that frequency to limit interference.
If your scanner is capable of tone decoding, by all means use it. Not all scanners have that capability
but most newer scanners have this as part of the hardware in the scanner.
You will most likely have to enter the tone manually with the frequency when you program it.

N8IAA

The 95 does not have that capability to program in PL/DPL tones ( PL 151.4, DPL 173) as examples. If you are asking about the tone for a trunked system, no you do not need to program that either. The 95 is a control channel scanner, so, you just need to put in the frequencies in red and blue for trunked systems (including setting the bank for MOT). Conventional frequencies can be just entered in as they are.
HTH,
Larry

davidbond21

If all you have is the PRO-95, don't worry about tones. Your scanner will still hear whatever is on that frequency though, as long as it is not a digital transmission(under the Mode column as "D", vs analog "A")

(N8IAA: you beat me too it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.