Type IIi FleetMap not importing correctly Win96/97

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

The database seems to be returning '2' for three of the blocks (blocks 0, 1, and 4), instead of either <blank>, '0' zero, or 'X' for a "Type-II block". Win96 and Win97 interpret that '2' to literally mean "size code 2".

jerk

The database seems to be returning '2' for three of the blocks (blocks 0, 1, and 4), instead of either <blank>, '0' zero, or 'X' for a "Type-II block". Win96 and Win97 interpret that '2' to literally mean "size code 2".

The database administrator showed me a screen shot, it says to put in 2 for Type II systems.
I guess my question is, which "input" does WinXX use, the TT one or the Moto one?

DonS

The database administrator showed me a screen shot, it says to put in 2 for Type II systems.
I guess my question is, which "input" does WinXX use, the TT one or the Moto one?
There's no way for WinXX to choose. It just gets this in the XML returned from RR:
<fleetmap><b0>2</b0><b1>2</b1><b2>B</b2><b3>C</b3><b4>2</b4><b5>F</b5><b6>B</b6><b7>K</b7></fleetmap>​
which, of course, looks like the Mot version. However, when I first wrote the fleetmap parsing code years ago, I believe I had to handle both formats (i.e. in the DB, some systems had Mot and some had TT) - and the TT version used numeric values 0-14. So, when I see "2", it looks to me like a TT format indicating "size code S02".

DonS

In anticipation of the next question:

I would suggest that for the Mot format, "size code 0" should be represented by either a) nothing (blank), b) "0", or c) "X" (a value I've seen elsewhere for "Type-II blocks in a hybrid system"). That is, don't use something that has an entirely different meaning in the TT format.

jerk

There's no way for WinXX to choose. It just gets this in the XML returned from RR:
<fleetmap><b0>2</b0><b1>2</b1><b2>B</b2><b3>C</b3><b4>2</b4><b5>F</b5><b6>B</b6><b7>K</b7></fleetmap>​
which, of course, looks like the Mot version. However, when I first wrote the fleetmap parsing code years ago, I believe I had to handle both formats (i.e. in the DB, some systems had Mot and some had TT) - and the TT version used numeric values 0-14. So, when I see "2", it looks to me like a TT format indicating "size code S02".

I'll PM the DB administrator and let him pass it on.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Our standard for dbadmins to enter a "2" for blocks that have type II talkgroups, and to use Motorola Size Code formats - and that is returned in the Web service.

About a month ago we implemented enforcement to make sure only these values were used.

If there are entries with a "0" - tickets should be submitted to have them changed to "2"

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-07 at 11.32.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-05-07 at 11.32.26 AM.png
    22 KB · Views: 63

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Further clarification - I believe in instances where we have a blank entry or "0" is in instances where there is no fleetmap assigned to that block or it isn't known.

DonS

Further clarification - I believe in instances where we have a blank entry or "0" is in instances where there is no fleetmap assigned to that block or it isn't known.

And that's precisely what a "Type-II block" is - no fleetmap assigned. (Or, if you're programming just about any trunk-tracking scanner that I'm aware of, that block gets "size code zero".)

In any event, I've modified my Winxx apps to ignore invalid "Motorola format size codes", populating that block in the scanner's data with zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.