Type N to BNC

Shooter65

Feed Provider
I have a Diamond D3000 that I am connecting to a Uniden SDS200. I will have to go from a type n to BNC, does it matter much where the adapter goes in terms of at the antenna base vs the back of the scanner? The coax could be BNC to BNC with an adaptor to type n, or type n to type n with an adaptor to BNC, I have not built it yet. Its just for the scanner RX no TX, I have a box of 75ohm and a box of 50ohm coax
Thanks for your input, suggestions and advice.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Use the adapter indoors at the scanner connection and let the N connector do its job outdoors at the antenna. A more preferred solution would be a short flexible pigtail that has a female N to BNC. LMR-400 coaxial cable is preferred at the antenna, but it is not something to directly connect to your scanner. Thus, the pigtail.

Last edited:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
How far is the cable run from the antenna to receiver? If its longer than 30-40ft I would use LMR400 with a male N at the antenna and female N at the radio then use a male N to male BNC jumper to your radio. If the jumper is short like 1ft then RG-58 coax is fine.

Shooter65

Feed Provider
How far is the cable run from the antenna to receiver? If its longer than 30-40ft I would use LMR400 with a male N at the antenna and female N at the radio then use a male N to male BNC jumper to your radio. If the jumper is short like 1ft then RG-58 coax is fine.
its 25-30 feet max. Thanks

KD9KSO

I would buy a 2 or 3 foot patch cable, made of more flexible and lightweight cable with appropriate connectors on each end to remove strain on the bnc connector of your sds200. I use LMR240-UF as my patch cable.

I use several of those type cables too coming from LMR400 cable. The LMR400 is some really stiff stuff. I use them on my scanners and shortwave set. The LMR400 goes straight into the HF set though.

Shooter65

Feed Provider
I have a Diamond D3000 that I am connecting to a Uniden SDS200. I will have to go from a type n to BNC, does it matter much where the adapter goes in terms of at the antenna base vs the back of the scanner? The coax could be BNC to BNC with an adaptor to type n, or type n to type n with an adaptor to BNC, I have not built it yet. Its just for the scanner RX no TX, I have a box of 75ohm and a box of 50ohm coax
Thanks for your input, suggestions and advice.
Thanks for all the input and advice, I ordered a 35' LMR400 Type N to Type N and a 1' 240 jumper. I appreciate all the help.