Typical basic questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder83

Hey Guys,

Came across this forum while doing a bit of research and was hoping I could get some input! I'm located in Toronto, Ontario and was looking to get a bit of help deciding on a radio. I have very little experience overall in this area, but I was looking to pick up something that I can use to pick up some basic analog frequencies, as well as hopefully the "Fleetnet system" as I've been told - mostly for just listening to a few OPP transmissions and what not. I was thinking of picking up a Uniden BCD396T, however I was a bit turned away because of the price, and recently I've been thinking of finding a Uniden BC346XT. From what I understand it seems to be a decent radio, but I was looking for a few opinions on if this will cover my needs (i.e. the most difficult channels I'll probably ever want to listen to will be Ontario Provincial Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and possibly Halton Region Trunking System, Halton Region, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies and Hamilton County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference etc.)

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

jclarkr6

If you are going to be monitoring the Ontario Provincial Police system, then you will want to purchase a digital trunking scanner like the Uniden BCD396XT. This is because the Ontario Provincial Police system uses analog AND APCO-25 (digital) for the voice types. Take a look at these systems, such as the Ontario Provincial Government Zone 2 system, Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 2 Trunking System, Southeast Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies, anytime you see a "D" in the Mode column, that means that the type of voice the talkgroup uses is digital. There are a LOT of talkgroups on the 4 various Ontario Provincial Government systems that use digital voice, so you will definitely need a digital scanner if you want to monitor those. The BC346XT is an analog trunking scanner and would NOT allow you to listen to any of the digital talkgroups. If you want to monitor the Ontario Provincial Government talkgroups, then you will need a digital scanner such as the Uniden BCD396XT, the BCD996XT, the GRE PSR-500, the GRE PSR-600, or the RadioShack Pro-106. I hope that this helps. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.