Typical Signal Levels on PSR-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
I have a PSR-500 and -600. Recently I've found that my 500 is far outperforming my 600 on some local P25 systems (PSR-600 could not decode the control channel at all).

I decided to investigate further by tuning both scanners with factory antennas to the same 3600 baud control channel which is very close to me. Using Win-500's "Monitor" feature, I was able to look at each scanner's reported signal strength in turn. The PSR-500 was at about signal strength "890" while the PSR-600 was at only "730."

Is it normal for the PSR-600 to have much less signal strength than the PSR-500? Can anyone else let me know what signal strengths they achieve with their PSR-600? I'm thinking there may be some issue that needs repair.

RickS31

Could be a mistune in the 600. They are capable of being aligned and peaked. Let us know the band you're comparing the control channel in and whether you're using the same antenna for the comparison on both units.

jlanfn

I tested swapping antennas and looking at strong control channels in two different bands (400-410 and 850 MHz) and the results were identical each time: the PSR-500 hovers around 890 and the 600 hovers around 730. The issue does not appear to be with the antenna setup.

RickS31

Sounds like you did your homework on this. Is it under warranty? I'd push on GRE for a warranty repair if so, I had one go back to RS repair for another issue. It definitely came back better tuned than before I sent it. It was a major component of their repair process and stated that. Worth a shot.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a PSR-500 and -600. Recently I've found that my 500 is far outperforming my 600 on some local P25 systems (PSR-600 could not decode the control channel at all).

I decided to investigate further by tuning both scanners with factory antennas to the same 3600 baud control channel which is very close to me. Using Win-500's "Monitor" feature, I was able to look at each scanner's reported signal strength in turn. The PSR-500 was at about signal strength "890" while the PSR-600 was at only "730."

Is it normal for the PSR-600 to have much less signal strength than the PSR-500? Can anyone else let me know what signal strengths they achieve with their PSR-600? I'm thinking there may be some issue that needs repair.

Were the menu settings both at the default values?

n9zas

jlanfn

Were the menu settings both at the default values?
Yes, and since I used exactly the same configuration file to program each scanner, I can't see how programming could account for the difference.

I don't know whether comparing the reported signal strength between a PSR-500 and PSR-600 is a fair comparison because they are slightly different models (although I had always thought the innards were largely the same). I don't even know what the signal strength number means except that larger numbers are stronger signals. I've played around with my PSR-500 and discovered it will not decode CQPSK at signal strengths lower than about 860, so I thought the fact that the PSR-600 never breaks 730 even on the strongest possible signal might be the reason it's not decoding CQPSK.

Does someone know what a properly functioning (i.e., new) PSR-600's signal strength would top out at?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes, and since I used exactly the same configuration file to program each scanner, I can't see how programming could account for the difference.

I don't know whether comparing the reported signal strength between a PSR-500 and PSR-600 is a fair comparison because they are slightly different models (although I had always thought the innards were largely the same). I don't even know what the signal strength number means except that larger numbers are stronger signals. I've played around with my PSR-500 and discovered it will not decode CQPSK at signal strengths lower than about 860, so I thought the fact that the PSR-600 never breaks 730 even on the strongest possible signal might be the reason it's not decoding CQPSK.

Does someone know what a properly functioning (i.e., new) PSR-600's signal strength would top out at?

Maybe drop a few lines in a email to GRE and explain your dillema?
They may have some ideas.

n9zas

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Did the global attenuator get turned on by accident in the 600?

That should not be the case if you used the same program file for both but worth checking just in case.

I've never looked at the reported signal level difference while switching the attenuator in and out when tuned to a strong signal.

rwier

Hi jlanfn,

I would stay away from this thread, but I've been into the sauce, lol.

To test the performance between two radios requires a careful examination of several "control" factors. I am in the middle of an area that has been notorious for bad reception of the local P-25, multi-site, simulcast system. Up until about six months ago none of my scanners had an acceptable result on this system.

About that time, I updated an HP-1 to the EXTREME option. I also purchased some radio related equipment at about this time. These included a high performance antenna and a splitter/booster to supply input to up to four scanners at the same time. The HP-1 (E) was used to make sure that all four feed lines were outputting the same strength and quality signal (if not the same, check connections).

At that stage, I could hook up four scanners and (with great confidence in the results) check the performance of each, on the same channels, and at the same time. Several of my scanners performed better than ever before (antenna, booster). Those that seemed inferior got my attention. Messing with the scanner specific settings (of the inferiors) I was able to bring all seven scanners up to peak performance.

All seven are now working better than any one did prior to 6 months ago. This is entirelly due to the "analytic" prowess of the HP-1 E. Now, any four (of seven) can be hooked up at once, and the results are mind boggling. A very well matched team that locks on, AND HOLDS, on transmnissions on this difficukt P-25 system, better than any one did prior to 6 months ago.

I have come to the conclusion, that perceived differences in different brands and models, are mainly the result of user error.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.