• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera TYT 9800D Plus - Failure to connect to repeaters

kk6cqx

WA0CBW, I genuinely appreciate the help offered on this board. And thanks for everyone's time. Recapping what is going on:

I bought the radio on Amazon last week. I also purchased a diamond quadband antenna and I tested with a 2/440 mag mount (just on 2m)

The problem seems to be that the radio does not transmit CTCSS tones with voice when pressing down on the PTT key. When I release the key it seems to at that point send the tone.

In experimentation, I found that the radio functions correctly on only one side (dual band) when using only low power. Mid1, Mid2, and High do not work.

I conducted the following tests:
  • I do know voice is transmitting because I can hear myself on the reverse (repeater input) frequency.
  • I tested with multiple repeaters. I verified the repeater details on Repeater Book. I also use these repeaters daily and know them well.
  • I used my other radios to verify that I am getting to the repeaters. So I know with certainty that the repeater settings I have are correct.
  • Testing the TYT I used my kenwood handheld to listen. To avoid overpowering, the kenwood was in a different location in the house.
  • I also asked others on the repeater to confirm if they could hear me or not.
  • I've changed bandwidth settings to see if switching from wide to narrow did anything.
  • I made sure I had ENC set to use CTCSS encode.
  • I used different antennas that are confirmed to work on other radios. (I don't have an SWR meter or antenna analyzer. But I confirmed functionality with other radios).
  • I have programmed the radio using the software from TYT.
  • I also tried programming by hand
  • I've tried factory resetting the radio and programming by hand.
  • I followed the programming instructions found here: TYT TH-9800 - Free Knowledge Base- The DUCK Project: information for everyone

ladn, I did not try checking the Compandering setting yet. I did not change it from whatever factory was though.