• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT DM2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6BRW

Just looked at the TYT DM2017, it's new and by the looks does all you need for a analog a day digital VHF/UHF. Very nice unit, it has my attention to the point of switching all my current equipment over, even the Repeaters. Any Thoughts?

wrath

Just looked at the TYT DM2017, it's new and by the looks does all you need for a analog a day digital VHF/UHF. Very nice unit, it has my attention to the point of switching all my current equipment over, even the Repeaters. Any Thoughts?
There is s converter to up convert code pugs from 380/390 , the main failing i see with the radio is it isnt lockable so anything you brush against takes that little center trackball off into space , that's the only weakness I have heard about it .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There is s converter to up convert code pugs from 380/390 , the main failing i see with the radio is it isnt lockable so anything you brush against takes that little center trackball off into space , that's the only weakness I have heard about it .

That is not accurate information. Jason from Ham Radio 2.0/ Grapevine corrected his original statement that it did not lock. In his update video he shot, he made the correction and said "It does lock".

I'm also definitely keeping an eye on this one. Along with the HD 1.

lmrtek

My conventional repeater has more 90db selectivity and .15uv sensitivity

My conventional HTs don't suffer from out of band desense and intermod

if they can match THAT, I MIGHT look at em but I'd bet the farm they can't

SCPD

QRT

The converter software dose not work.

I mean it works but when I tried it it will not let me talk with anyone. I had someone make me a fresh one and I took a look at it and compared it to the converted one and everything looks the same unless I missed something.

SCPD

QRT
Green light on top of the MD 2017

Hi all,

I wanted to come here to see if anyone had this issue.

The green light on the TYT MD 2017 always is on and I thought it was only on when you talk or someone else is talking AKA it turns on when someone talks or im talking to them. Maybe its the red light not sure lol

Sorry if I sound dumb.

Michael

N4KVE

First one already dead.
Ken Zieleck
Yesterday at 1:32pm

MD-2017 Limitation: Weak Antenna Mount

Heads up, love the dual band functionality but just knocked it off the counter it landed on the antenna.

Normally have flexible antennas on my HT's however the first 2-3 inches on the 2017 antenna is rigid and broke the Antenna mount... initial assessment is not repairable but will have to take a closer look when I get some time... $180 down the drain after 2 days...

Be careful with your radios

Last edited:

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Hello everyone,
I am only on the receiving end of the hobby but with the proliferation of DMR I need to move that direction while not spending another $500 on a RX only system. I have VHF and UHF DMR in the area I want to listen to and this radio seems like just the ticket for a fair price.

How much will this act like a scanner with my programmed DMR frequencies

Will this unit scan both UHF and VHF (6 channels each "bank" if you will in scanner terms) and stop on whichever is active then resume? I suspect first received whether it is U or V will prevent the other from being heard until the RX stops.

Can I park each VFO on UHF and a VHF and hear whichever becomes active with no other interaction?

That's all I really need to know and it isn't clear in the manual.

Regards,
Dave

teufler

tHE BROKEN ANTENNA CONNECTOR IS REPAIRABLE. Costs about $17.00, the part is free but the postage from China is not. I only have one good working arm, but the radio can be taken apart and the connector replaced. There are a couple of you tube videos that show the repair.Maybe 1 hr to repair and re-assemble the radio. Yes the antenna sma connector is "FRAGILE". The track ball and the antenna port are the weak link, but thru care, the radio works very well. I keep the radio on a neck lanyard, and then I place it in a radio stand when not in use. Requires some new radio habits related to their use.

Oh two days, that matches my breaking of the port.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
All U.S. Dealers have been shipped replacement antenna sma connectors. Call your dealer if you need one. They are FREE for the asking! :cool:

mancow

Database Admin
All U.S. Dealers have been shipped replacement antenna sma connectors. Call your dealer if you need one. They are FREE for the asking! :cool:

What dealer? I talked to buytwowayradios and also a local dealer and neither have them.

I ended up scavenging one from a TYT UV1F tonight. It's a bit shorter but still works. I would really like to pick up a proper one or 5. Also, I need a PTT button but at this point I can't even get the SMA.

wrath

Try calling a ham at a ham radio store instead of a place that sells anything with a PTT to anybody ,establishing a relationship before and after the sale goes along way with any kind of service and support .

mancow

Database Admin
I called a ham store, one of the largest in the Midwest and spoke to the owner who knew my by my call. I have dealt with him since 1993. He said they did not receive any shipment of parts but will call and check into it. He likely would have replaced the radio but I told him that I dropped it so it's my fault, not like it just snapped off replacing the antenna. Should it be that fragile, no, but I didn't feel right demanding he take the hit on that.

Hopefully they will start carrying parts for them now.

Anyway, I finally received an email back from TYT asking me to "please send us our details". So I sent my address and a pic of the broken radio and the serial #. We will see...

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
Word to the wise. Buy from Jason at Grapevine Amateur Radio. He has the parts to repair and will repair if sent back to him. Great customer service.

Jim, NS3K

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I believe that R&L Electronics in Hamilton, OH to be of the same calibre insofar as support and warranty repairs are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.