• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT MD-2017 Heads Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaytsus

Ship it to me, and for $190 it will be as good as new. Seriously, what are you willing to pay for the repair including shipping? At $75/hr it will probably take 2 hours plus shipping so you are are going to be at about $190 to get it back. I think you need to fix it yourself or keep the battery pack, throw it in the trash and buy another. That's how you fix Chinese stuff.

Seriously, why be a jerk about it.

paulears

At last - a sensible review written by somebody who knows what he is talking about and tells me exactly the things I want to know - thanks John!

teufler

Well the repair will cost me $1.00 for the part, TYT China is mailing it to me. Interesting thin, the program cable does NOT show as a usb port via Device Manager in Windows 7. Had a cable that I sent back, it was bad and it has been replaced. Cable does show up in Universial Serial Bus Controlers in Device Manager. It should show up as STM DEVICE IN DFU MODE.

Kb2Jpd

406a84a76c26ab957ef69583466a6eb8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Received my MD-2017 today. Hooked u[p the cable to my PC and everything was fine until I tried reading the radio. The radio would begin reading then show a read failure error. After about an hour of troubleshooting, I called the vendor, in this case Two Way Radios.com. I was told that the MD-2017 was ONLY tested on Windows 10. The website does not say anything about that. I run windows 7 -32 and 64 bit versions so I am screwed pretty much. Radio is going back in the morning. Will there be a fix through firmware later on? who knows but I am going to find something better to spend my $219 on. Just giving potential buyers a heads up.

Manny

I have a MD 2017 and programmed it on a Win 7 64 bit computer with no issues. I ordered mine Monday from R and L web site showed $219. Got an e-mail saying they are selling them for $149.95 but can't show that on the web site and that comes with the cable. Got mine Wednesday, Got the new S/W 1.16 which will read a codeplug for the MD380 just fine. Also, they meaning TYT just released a Firmware update Jul 7th! Did the firmware update today all is well ALSO on this WIN 7 64 Bit computer.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I certainly hope I get the same deal. I just placed my order but did not see the price you were given... <fingers-crossed-mode:ON> :cool:

Yeah I know checkout tells you $219.95 but they will email you with the correct price. And thank God I preordered the MD 9600, which is coming out as dual band. My preorder was $219 which is what I get it for since it is paid already but the current going price is $339.95

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Darn shot down another of my misconceptions. I thought all HAMs knew about R and L. And before anyone bugs R and L about the MD9600 that was another vendor.

I know HRO and Universal along with some others. Never heard of R&L though.

Most stuff I get is through HRO or commercial gear which is my preference.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
R&L Electronics is a family-run amateur radio store located in HAMilton, Ohio, just north of Cincinnati. It was started by a man and wife; now their grown son runs the show. They are well-known in the midwest because they used to set up at many of the hamfests in the area. They even had a satellite store in Indianapolis for a while. Nowadays, they concentrate on on-line and in-house sales and I think the Dayton Hamvention may be the only hamfest they sell at now. Their brick-and-mortar store is small and you have to squeeze through some of the aisles. But, they have a lot of stock and the UPS truck backs up to their door every afternoon. Their web site is a little behind the times, but the search tool works well and you can usually find what you are looking for.

Flatshovel

I have a MD 2017 and programmed it on a Win 7 64 bit computer with no issues. I ordered mine Monday from R and L web site showed $219. Got an e-mail saying they are selling them for $149.95 but can't show that on the web site and that comes with the cable. Got mine Wednesday, Got the new S/W 1.16 which will read a codeplug for the MD380 just fine. Also, they meaning TYT just released a Firmware update Jul 7th! Did the firmware update today all is well ALSO on this WIN 7 64 Bit computer.
Hello, been following the post, was wondering if anyone knows if the software & programming cable will work on other versions of Windows besides Windows 7 & 10? I have a older laptop that I would like to possibly use for programming if needed, however it only runs Vista at the moment. Also can the radio be programmed via FPP on the fly if needed?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Kb2Jpd

Hello, been following the post, was wondering if anyone knows if the software & programming cable will work on other versions of Windows besides Windows 7 & 10? I have a older laptop that I would like to possibly use for programming if needed, however it only runs Vista at the moment. Also can the radio be programmed via FPP on the fly if needed?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

The MD-380 stock firmware is NOT FPP. That may change with other mods in the future

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I know checkout tells you $219.95 but they will email you with the correct price. And thank God I preordered the MD 9600, which is coming out as dual band. My preorder was $219 which is what I get it for since it is paid already but the current going price is $339.95

I got an email this morning confirming the price as $149.00 (I saved another $0.95!)... :lol:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I got an email this morning confirming the price as $149.00 (I saved another $0.95!)... :lol:

Awesome, And new firmware came out 7/7/2017 for the MD 2017. Be sure to get ver 1.16 of the programming software because that will read codeplugs from the MD 380.

paulears

406a84a76c26ab957ef69583466a6eb8.png

You cannot be serious - every time you want to programme a radio you need a fresh install of the OS? Totally crazy.

The USB serial chips are sending tiny amounts of data on an ancient protocol that doesn't stretch a computer whatsoever! The issues with the ability to programme the radios are simply because the Usb to serial conversion is usually done on a very cheap IC that mimics the operation of the original one. Things have moved on with the original, and the drivers most of these Chinese radios are using is very dated, and the modern versions of Windows detect the driver is nowhere near the latest one, and replace it from the driver database - assuming that the latest one is the best one. The updated driver is fine on the latest genuine chip, but very flaky on the copies based on the very old versions. Using a separate computer to programme radios is what many of us do simply because of the hassle with windows 7,8 and 10. A new install of Windows is a simply ludicrous solution to poorly produced chips and old drivers. I dedicated a computer to radios simply because I had an old laptop laying around - but I can use another older Vista computer with loads of stuff on it perfectly, no need for a new OS. My other computers just hate programming some radios - My Icons and Kenwoods are fine on Windows any version. Kirisun works on most, TYT on about half and the few counterfeit Kenwoods I bought by mistake only work on two of the computers - XP and Vista. I can force windows 8 to load the legacy driver and then it works, but on next boot up, it puts the newer one back. The Baofengs are all a bit different - all work with the old computers, but even messing with drivers is unreliable with the 888s, ok on the 5s.

Status
Not open for further replies.