• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tyt MD 380 firmware release date December 16, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there everyone....

On the VA3XPR website, a new firmware was released for the MD 380 on December 16, 2016.

Does anyone know what the features or change log are for this release?

I read in another post that a new DMR scanning has been added, kind of like the CS 580. Can't confirm that yet....

Last edited:

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. I found this info in the operation.doc and the operation.doc.pdf located in each of the firmware type subdirectories.

Updated software for following shortcomings

Please note that programming software for new version is V01.32, hardware version is V01.00 and firmware version is TYT-TFT-MD380-D3.20.bin, please kindly note that the firmware version for old vocoder is D002 or D003 version (check menu-utilities-radio info-versions) and you can use this firmware file and if your version is D013, please use the firmware for new vocoder one, and this firmware is available for MD-380 and MD-390 without GPS and MD-380G without GPS of D002 or D003 version

1. When you unlock the radio, you need to press twice then you will enter into menu function, which is addressed
2. When scanning, we cannot know which frequency or which channel coming with signals, and this upgraded software will solve this issue, please kindly noted that if you want to know which frequency or which channel coming with signals, you should set scan digital/analog hand time more than group/private call hang time: General setting->scan->scan digital/analog hang time=5000ms when default setting for group call hang time is 3000ms and private call hang time is 4000ms, and the more time gap is, the longer the channel or frequency with signals will stay, after allotted staying time, the radio will skip and scan again
3. This upgraded also will be solve the problem that the radio will reboot when scanning
4. This upgraded will add one function to radio that you can choose zone area by sign key assignment in the buttons definitions setting
5. Upgraded the encryption into enhanced one with 128bits
6. Solve the problem that backlight is always on in analog mode
7. Solve the problem that contact list will be wrong when it is more than 500
8. Correct spelling of privite to private
9. Solve the problem that when talkaround is activated via menu, radio cannot talk with Motorola
10. Solve the problem that when you store the contact list more than 600, the radio will reboot
11. Power on message can be defined by customers, there are two lines, 10 digits in maximum for each (General setting-intro screen)
12. Solve the problem of wrong battery indicator during battery drains.
13. Correct spelling of repeatar in Utilities-program radio-repeatar to repeater
14. Solve the wrong display when deleting entry from Missed List. When the last entry is deleted the screen displays:“??? ??? ?”
15. Solve the problem when we program the radio, there will be some data missing.
16. Adding the scrolling display
17. Adding 1750Hz tone and mid bandwidth as 20K

Yup... That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

I updated to this firmware and didn't find the menu nor do I have an idea on how to "scan" for an unknown DMR signal to the radio. I think it's pretty safe to assume I only have to program a known DMR frequency, then the rest will happen. Not sure though. Time to test it out!

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
MD-380 Bug???

Hmmm I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but maybe its just my setup?
I have a week old MD-380 , new vocoder version, non GPS. Out of the box. I dumped in a codeplug that I found on the internet that was supposedly confirmed by many to work well. It consisted of the UHF Ham repeaters in the NY-NJ-CT areas. I entered my newly acquired amateur access code and got on the air within 30 min. after un-boxing the little bundle of love. So, being the hacker that I am, I wasn't satisfied with the radio without trying the "hacked" firmware which had two options that I would really like to have in the radio. They are backlight brightness control and the promiscuous mode. And I knew if I didn't like something I can always dump the stock firmware file back in to return the radio to its original state.
Sooooo, once I dumped the correct hacked firmware for my radio (the latest version available here: https://web1.foxhollow.ca/DMR/Files/Firmware/Experimental/firmware-2017-03-07-NoGPS.bin ) I immediately said oh no. The problem was once the radio received a DMR signal, it immediately started to reboot. It would continue to reboot as long as it was still receiving a signal. I proved this by disconnecting the antenna between reboots, and low and behold the radio came on and stayed on.
As ot turns out after a little troubleshooting, any Firmware after 12-9-2016 has this problem. Right now I have 12-9-2016 firmware in there and it is working fine, but the brightness control option was added sometime after so I do not have that feature. Funny thing was when I put some firmware versions in back from 11-2016, the display was upside down! I also tried several different codeplugs and messed with all the settings to see if I could figure out what causes it to reboot.
Like I said, the radio works fine out of the box so I don't think it is a defective radio. But why hasn't anyone else experienced this problem? I am sure there is a lot of people that have updated their firmware.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The experimental firmware is exactly that. It's more likely to have bugs and weird glitches than the factory firmware, and it's more likely to brick your radio.

If you want to live on the cutting edge, expect to bleed occasionally.

If you're not comfortable with the risk, the stick with the factory firmware.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
The experimental firmware is exactly that. It's more likely to have bugs and weird glitches than the factory firmware, and it's more likely to brick your radio.

If you want to live on the cutting edge, expect to bleed occasionally.

If you're not comfortable with the risk, the stick with the factory firmware.

Well I know for sure it is impossible to brick the radio lol. Otherwise I wouldn't have attempted to "experiment" . Hey. its all a learning experience as far as I am concerned. Worth the 100 bucks just to broaden the hobby. Relax. It will be fine. ;)
Anyway. did anyone else have the same issues as me, staying on topic??

Status
Not open for further replies.