• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT MD-380

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircatheavy

New to DMR. Casual amateur radio operator for a while.

I see people saying that the TYT MD-380 is priced around $100 but I can't seem to find a reputable place to get one at that price?
Are all TYT MD-380 the same or are there different versions?

Suggestions?

Thanks

bill4long

New to DMR. Casual amateur radio operator for a while.

I see people saying that the TYT MD-380 is priced around $100 but I can't seem to find a reputable place to get one at that price?
Are all TYT MD-380 the same or are there different versions?

Suggestions?

Thanks

I have purchased several, directly from TYT. Highly recommended. Always the latest radios and excellent service.
The most reputable IMO. No reason to buy from any other, but do what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/TYT-MD-380-Moto-TRBO-Radio/dp/B00X6FYWWS

Ubbe

The UV uses the same type of receiver chip as SDS100 and the non UV had up till now a standard type of receiver that handles interference and strong signals much better.

/Ubbe

w2xq

Mentor
Thanks for the replies. Both worked.
Would this one be better since it's dual band ?

TYT MD-UV380

I bought the MD-UV380 last July with an extra bsttery and the battery eliminator and I am happy with it. The VHF band gives one flexiblity in adding NOAA weather, analog FM channels, maritime boating channels etc. I have accumulated notes on the rsdio here -- Amateur Radio -- that may help you in your decision.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
If you're going for a dual band DMR unit, I think the Anytone 868 is a far better radio than the MD-UV380. I have both, and the Anytone is just better in almost any way you can think of. It is a little more money however. If you do go for the TYT, I can recommend the third party codeplug editor written by Cathy, G6AMU. You can find a link here: G6AMU Codeplug Editor – G7RVH – Random Stuff
IIRC you still need to upload your codeplug to the radio using the TYT CPS software, but you can do some or all of your editing in her third party program which is easier to use, allows you to re-order items in scan lists, etc. Both the TYT and Anytone are Direct Conversion radios, but they both work very well at my QTH. I've not had any noticeable overload with either radio, and I live in a very RF dense location with a tower just one mile away that has 9 FM broadcast radio stations going 24/7/365, as well as several Ham repeaters and who knows what all else is up there.

D

dtx-120

Fyi, according to this blog TYT MD-380 is a superheterodyne transceiver. I have one but would not recommend for a beginner because of the additional firmware needed to make it more user friendly. I'm interested in that Anytone 868.

Radiosification: Comparison of DMR radios

Last edited:

Ubbe

Actually no additional firmware needed in a MD380. Program a zone with 8 repeaters with its two timeslots each and then a bunch of talkgroups you would like to use. Put the TGs in a scanlist and away you go. You do not need to do more than that. The userfriendlyness firmware adds the name of the person who transmits but he anyways says his name and callsign so it's not needed.

/Ubbe

D

dtx-120

You make a compelling case for me not to want to see how far I could throw this thing into the lake. :) Do you mean put all the talk groups into a receive groups (if I'm not mistaken only channels can go into a scan list)? Can you screenshot me the channel programming panel? How do you switch between talkgroups?

Ubbe

Do you mean put all the talk groups into a receive groups
Yes, sorry about that. It should be group list, not scan list.
I had my MD380 programmed to easily change TG's and scan all of them and had that a couple of months until Travis Goodspeed came out with his Tools version. I probably need to flash it back to standard to be able to recoup the programming.

/Ubbe

D

dtx-120

I'm using the KD4Z MDtools which I loaded on the radio through Virtualbox and I'm also using Dale Farnsworth's codeplug editor. When I go into Netmon menu I'm getting a "nosig" next to "radio." I was able to key down and listen to TAC310 but no one is hearing me transmit. I'm giving up on this radio for DMR. I like using it on 440 analog though and I have a beefy 6db gain antenna I got from Smiley antennas. I do appreciate your help but this radio seems to be a lost cause for DMR.

/dtx

w2xq

Mentor
Dtx-120, I am surprised you are having so much trouble with your radio. I have several friends with ~4 yo MD-380s that are going strong with the original batteries.

Have you thought about punting and put the MD-380 back to a stock version? Dump the toolz-thingie and use the TYT-supplied CPS software to load a conventional codeplug?

I might use the N0GSG Contact Manager to reorder/sort contacts, channels and zone lists as I add additional entries. And the CSV dumps just allow me to quickly review and spot typos at al.

Just thinking out loud, but that's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.