• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera TYT MD-UV380 Firmware Update Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemt04

I am about to pull my hair out over this. I have looked everywhere for an answer but can't seem to find anything to help. I was attempting to update the firmware on my UV380 from D017.005 to V017.005 to be able to accept the DMR ID contact list. First off I attempted to download the Flash tool off of the tyt888.com website but when i click on the download it flashes and disappears. I am unable to find anywhere on my computer where it downloaded if it did. So I downloaded the Tytera Flash Tool by KG5RKI. I then downloaded
MD-UV380(CSV)-V17.05.bin firmware from the tyt website and followed the instructions for flashing the firmware to the radio. After it was finished I turned off the radio and turned it back on only to find it was still in the program mode. I have attempted to re-flash it several times with no luck. I have even attempted to re-write the radio with a code plug from before the flash. When I read the radio is shows firmware T012.010. All the stuff I find online is geared towards the MD-380 and not a whole lot for the UV380. Any help would be greatly appropriated. Oh and I am CPS version 1.07 on windows 10. I also tried on windows 7.

w2xq

Mentor
It seems to me that the KG5RKI software is for the MD380, not the MD-UV380. Therein may be part of your problem. Just a guess to fix your radio, assuming you first read the radio (after unpacking it with the supplied software) and saved the empty unmodified RDT file.

Use the TYT CPS software originally supplied with your radio to open the empty RDT and write it to the radio.

If you didn't first read the radio and save a file, perhaps open the originally supplied software. Save the default RDT to a new file name--don't make any entries--and try writing that empty file to the UV380.

If you can awaken the radio, perhaps revert to a working codeplug dated before you tried flashing the radio.

I think you'll find the N0GSG Contact Manager software will append the DMR ID database to your contacts. Then use the TYT software to write the the RDT file to the radio. See the PDF documentation for details.

HTH. Good luck.

Last edited:

firemt04

W2XQ thank you for your quick response. I did try to write the original code back to the radio with no luck. I did get the problem fixed. I had to run the tyt flash tool in compatibility mode and that allowed it to download. I then flashed the update. All is well again. Thank you.

w2xq

Mentor
Heh. Good to know about the compatibility. I am of the old school that if it ain't broke I don't always try to fix it. In this case I have not tried to ugrade the UV380, purchased in late July, firmware. And I understood the N0GSG software would suck in the user ID database you sought to grab. Good luck.

firemt04

Yea I'm usually that way but I'm trying to learn all I can about this radio. I deferentially wouldn't do anything like that with one of my Motorolas for sure.

K2TKX

Speaking of updating firmware, I did the tty update to my (Nov 2018 purchased) tty-md uv380 dmr radio using the uv380(csv).bin file. When I turned the radio back on, after turning it off and unplugging the usb cord, it stays stuck at the splash screen. Tried several times, loaded up original code plug (can still do that) but still stuck on splash screen. Downloading from radio shows it's the 18.003 version. Any ideas? Has it been bricked?

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of updating firmware, I did the tty update to my (Nov 2018 purchased) tty-md uv380 dmr radio using the uv380(csv).bin file. When I turned the radio back on, after turning it off and unplugging the usb cord, it stays stuck at the splash screen. Tried several times, loaded up original code plug (can still do that) but still stuck on splash screen. Downloading from radio shows it's the 18.003 version. Any ideas? Has it been bricked?
Was the radio in firmware update mode?

K2TKX

Was the radio in firmware update mode?
Yes, it was. I just heard back from the seller (3rd party thru Amazon). They said to "Please install uv390 with gps firmware. Thank you." Well, I have a uv380, sez so right under the battery. I've read that you shouldn't do it. But they said to, so I did. And I have my radio back, with ver 18.03 firmware. Everything seems to be in order, talks to my zumspot, etc. Happy but mystified!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
They have two versions of firmware; one for non-GPS models, and the other for the GPS equipped models. You obviously have the latter.

K2TKX

You don't need to tell me. Tell my radio - it thinks it's an MD-UV380.My TYT MD-UV380.jpg

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
UV390 CPS is the correct programming software for the UV380 GPS version radio, especially the newer radios. The GPS is the kicker.

I'm running UV390 CPS 1.10 on a new UV380 GPS radio w/18.03 firmware. It works flawlessly.

Last edited:

K2TKX

UV390 CPS is the correct programming software for the UV380 GPS version radio, especially the newer radios. The GPS is the kicker.

I'm running UV390 CPS 1.10 on a new UV380 GPS radio w/18.03 firmware. It works flawlessly.

Russell, I can't seem to figure out if my MD-UV380 (above) has or does not have GPS, and, if it does, what to do with it, how to use it. It works fine with the -390 firmware, too, still sometimes crashes when I try to send it a programming change, but otherwise is fine. Wants to be unplugged from the usb programming cable to work effectively. Any thoughts on the GPS feature? Thanks. K2TKX

Phoenix805

Russell, I can't seem to figure out if my MD-UV380 (above) has or does not have GPS, and, if it does, what to do with it, how to use it. It works fine with the -390 firmware, too, still sometimes crashes when I try to send it a programming change, but otherwise is fine. Wants to be unplugged from the usb programming cable to work effectively. Any thoughts on the GPS feature? Thanks. K2TKX

I have the MD-UV380 GPS version. If I go to the main menu the last item is GPS. I would assume (I don't know, I could always be wrong) if your last entry is GPS then you have that model. If it isn't GPS, you probably don't have it. What's it do and how do you use it? (sorry, I'll quit laughing now) I don't have a clue, I've heard many different things from many different people. I assumed it acted as a GPS and told you where you are. Apparently it doesn't. I thought it would transmit your location. Apparently it doesn't. I thought you could see where others are. Apparently it doesn't do that either. I've heard it works with APERS but I don't know anything about that. Maybe someone on here will offer some better insight.

I knew there would be a learning curve with this radio but I didn't realize I'd have to go back to school. Good luck and have fun. :)

K2TKX

Russell and w2xq,

Thanks for the replies. I'm laughing along with you, Russell. It is truly a random walk when it comes to programming/understanding this radio. If it weren't for you, w2xq, I don't know what a fellow would do! I followed your so clearly written description from k2gog - thank you - and wish that he/she had written the manual. My UV380 came with the "GPS BeiDou Info" menu item. When I upgraded the firmware (above) it still was there. (As I have said, I did not intend to buy, nor did I expect to have the GPS feature.) Plus, the APRS-310999 entry was in the updated firmware (I don't remember if it was there in the original firmware). I followed k2gog's instructions, but when I got to programming the Channel there was no entry for GPS, nor was there a GPS entry on the MENU ITEM page. I guess that settles it! I thank all of you for your help. 73. K2TKX

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Mine has a second label right below the Tyt info/serial number label in the battery compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 36

lreynol4

Is the GPS option selectable on my MD-UV380? Is the radio hardware the same and it just a matter of enabling it with the right firmware update? Does anyone know of any photos of both of the GPS and non-GPS radio insides that I could use for reference? Thanks for any help here.

Larry

ad5ez

I am about to pull my hair out over this. I have looked everywhere for an answer but can't seem to find anything to help. I was attempting to update the firmware on my UV380 from D017.005 to V017.005 to be able to accept the DMR ID contact list. First off I attempted to download the Flash tool off of the tyt888.com website but when i click on the download it flashes and disappears. I am unable to find anywhere on my computer where it downloaded if it did. So I downloaded the Tytera Flash Tool by KG5RKI. I then downloaded
MD-UV380(CSV)-V17.05.bin firmware from the tyt website and followed the instructions for flashing the firmware to the radio. After it was finished I turned off the radio and turned it back on only to find it was still in the program mode. I have attempted to re-flash it several times with no luck. I have even attempted to re-write the radio with a code plug from before the flash. When I read the radio is shows firmware T012.010. All the stuff I find online is geared towards the MD-380 and not a whole lot for the UV380. Any help would be greatly appropriated. Oh and I am CPS version 1.07 on windows 10. I also tried on windows 7.
I have found the solution, it's an older flashing program but it works with the MD-Uv380
contact email ad5ez@sbcglobal.net

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I cant put the radio into DFU mode any ideas? I am trying to update the firmware and CPS. Oh wait nevermind. I figured that out. I had the same problem as the original poster. Wrong firmware uploaded to GPS version of the UV380 for CSV contacts. Its all fixed now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.