• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera TYT MD-UV380 PTT ID

k1jak

Feed Provider
I have purchased 8 TYT MD-UV380's for our local volunteer fire department.

I have most of the programming worked out (just analog, for now, DMR is in our future but not yet required), but I have a couple of issues that would be nice to get working.

1. Has anybody been able to get the PTT ID to transmit/receive? Dispatch would like to have the PTT ID set to have it display to them what department is calling or has an open mic. I see the option in the software.
Screenshot (1).png

2. I have a request from one firefighter to have it monitor the tones, so he doesn't have to have a radio and a pager. IE set up a channel that uses Two Tones to open the squelch.

3. A way to lock the radio so it won't change the channel or anything else until unlocked.

Alrib123

I REALLY hope your firefighters aren't running into burning buildings with their life reliant on the chinese radio meant for consumers. Anyways, more information is needed. Do you have the dispatch console setup to receive and decode the MDC id? I don't think it can do what you're asking in #2.

k1jak

Feed Provider
I REALLY hope your firefighters aren't running into burning buildings with their life reliant on the chinese radio meant for consumers. Anyways, more information is needed. Do you have the dispatch console setup to receive and decode the MDC id? I don't think it can do what you're asking in #2.
We have older Kenwood TK-2313's for interior attack. The PTT ID works with the TK-2313.

We will be using MD-UV380 for traffic and command where we can't talk directly to the comms center. As we are setting up a cross-band repeater with a portable 40' mast that is stored on one of our trucks. (I am currently working with a frequency coordinator to get something of our own in the 450-470mhz for the task).

I have a Kenwood TK-5710 on my desk that is able to view the PTT ID when I test with my TK-2313, which doesn't work with the MD-UV380.

bharvey2

I have tried getting various PTT ID modes working in a couple of different CCR (cheap Chinese radios) and have rarely been successful. The programmers have some of the basic settings in the CPS but don't bother to get it working. This seems more prevalent with radios geared toward to the ham community. I managed to get MDC to function in one brand but it wasn't a TYT.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Use digital and program your contact list with the unit ID and user name.. Then when you PTT, the other radios will see who is talking

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
On the 380, there is a lock symbol on i believe the #3 key. Press it and hold and the keypad will lock.. Press the green key and #3 again to unlock

k1jak

Feed Provider
On the 380, there is a lock symbol on i believe the #3 key. Press it and hold and the keypad will lock.. Press the green key and #3 again to unlock
The keyboard lock, doesn't prevent the radio to swap channels via the top knob on the firmware that was shipped with the radios I have. Does it lock function work better on your radio, I hope they have it fixed on other firmware.

k1jak

Feed Provider
Use digital and program your contact list with the unit ID and user name.. Then when you PTT, the other radios will see who is talking
Our system is not yet on DMR, we need this to work in analog mode. They moved the police to DMR a couple of years ago, they haven't been happy thus they haven't yet mandated that we move to digital.

k1jak

Feed Provider
I have tried getting various PTT ID modes working in a couple of different CCR (cheap Chinese radios) and have rarely been successful. The programmers have some of the basic settings in the CPS but don't bother to get it working. This seems more prevalent with radios geared toward to the ham community. I managed to get MDC to function in one brand but it wasn't a TYT.

I just purchased programming software from: Welcome to RT Systems, Inc. - Radio Programming Made Easy! for the MD-UV380's. I should have another radio to test it with Tuesday (I had distributed the ones I already programmed) hopefully that will help me to get it to work. I agree the software that the radio shipped with was lacking.

I will report back if I can get that to work.

BTW I have been reading NFPA 1802 and I am scared to see what a dual-band 1802-compliant radio will cost.

hill

Premium Subscriber
These radios can't do two tone detect, so can't use for fire pages. My Kenwood Tk290/390s and TK5210 all do it.

The PTT ID on these radios is 5 DTMF tones I think.

I do own a few these as cheap radios that can use on Ham DMR and can be tossed in gear I take in my delivery truck at work with out worrying about them due low cost.

Going forward they won't hold up well to public safety use and there much better choices for radio gear. Even some used rehabed commercial radios from a major manufacturer would be better.

Do they even have FCC Part 90?

I think radios with only 16 channel knobs with stops are better for public safety, since it easy to find your primary or emergency channel with the stop.

What brand of radios are the police using?

k1jak

Feed Provider
These radios can't do two tone detect, so can't use for fire pages. My Kenwood Tk290/390s and TK5210 all do it.

The PTT ID on these radios is 5 DTMF tones I think.

I do own a few these as cheap radios that can use on Ham DMR and can be tossed in gear I take in my delivery truck at work with out worrying about them due low cost.

Going forward they won't hold up well to public safety use and there much better choices for radio gear. Even some used rehabed commercial radios from a major manufacturer would be better.

Do they even have FCC Part 90?

I think radios with only 16 channel knobs with stops are better for public safety, since it easy to find your primary or emergency channel with the stop.

What brand of radios are the police using?
They are Part 90 radios. EMA Races has been using the MD-380's (single band) for some time without issue.

The 16 channels on the knob is great, but at the same time, its a bit limiting. Our primary zone has 23 channels programmed into it. The zone with the boating channels has 49 channels.

The police are using Kenwood NX-5200K2, which are also single-band radios. They aren't NFPA rated and > $1,000 each, thus also not good for the interior.

I am just attempting to fix our communication issues with a portable tower and cross band repeater, to allow us to communicate with dispatch. interior will remain on a county standard VHF channel with our aging Kenwoods. When vendors start shipping NFPA 1802 dual band radios we will apply for a grant and pickup one for each of us that are certified for interior.

Robjoseph

Most of our country, outside of cities, is volunteers. Municipalities cover training to an extent. the time commitment is intense, the younger generations are not stepping up, and budgets are being cut further. Automatic Aid is being cut in some circumstances to cut fuel costs. So 7 years later and the situation is worse than when this thread started, hence why I am reading it, as a volunteer looking for solutions. Baofeng is a 100$ to a 900$ problem - the cost of one way pagers. The Baofeng do more for less, esp with ability to use FRS, some added benefits.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Baofeng do more for less, esp with ability to use FRS, some added benefits.
Yes, some Baofengs do more for less. For $25, you get a transmitter that not only puts out a signal on your intended frequency, but on several other frequencies simultaneously.

As for FRS, the FCC rules for FRS radios are pretty stringent. I'm not aware of any Baofeng radio that has an FCC equipment authorization for FRS.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
We have older Kenwood TK-2313's for interior attack. The PTT ID works with the TK-2313.

We will be using MD-UV380 for traffic and command where we can't talk directly to the comms center. As we are setting up a cross-band repeater with a portable 40' mast that is stored on one of our trucks. (I am currently working with a frequency coordinator to get something of our own in the 450-470mhz for the task).

I have a Kenwood TK-5710 on my desk that is able to view the PTT ID when I test with my TK-2313, which doesn't work with the MD-UV380.
The TK-2313 is probably using Fleetsync. I highly doubt those junk TYT's are capable of Fleetsync

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The police are using Kenwood NX-5200K2, which are also single-band radios. They aren't NFPA rated and > $1,000 each, thus also not good for the interior.
Your TK-2313 are DEFINITELY NOT NFPA-1802 compliant. I'd much rather go amd do interior attack with a NX-5200, than a TK2313.