• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT MD2017 Antenna & SMA Problem !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You have already posted this information in the active thread on the MD-2017.

Note that the length of the threaded stud is twice as long as the typical SMA connector.

Because third-party antennas (such as the MD-380 and others) aren't that "deep" the base of the antenna will never touch the base of the hole and consequently the body of the radio's case.

This means that all of the stress is place on the thin, threaded barrel of the connector! Just very slight pressure on the antenna will cause the connector to snap at the base, just as the video shows.

Frankly I have to say that it is a lousy design, and really should be addressed. In the meantime folks should not try to use aftermarket antennas with the MD-2017! Or, as mentioned below, use a thick enough rubber spacer to allow for body/antenna base contact.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Buy cheap crap, get cheap results.

I am not surprised about the antenna performance either.

I live on the fringe of a few repeaters, and can not access them with ham grade portable antennas.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Baofengs have had the same issue--the antenna seating on the tip of the SMA connector instead of firmly contacting the body of the radio. The solution is the same in this case; a spacer between the aftermarket antenna and the radio.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
As a workaround when using 3rd party antennas, add spacers between the antenna base and the radio to take the stress off of the SMA connector.

Last edited by a moderator:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Buy cheap crap, get cheap results.

I am not surprised about the antenna performance either.

I live on the fringe of a few repeaters, and can not access them with ham grade portable antennas.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Odd as I can talk and use a DMR repeater almost 30 miles away with my MD 2017 (connected to my Base ANT). A fellow Ham across the river also uses that repeater with the MD 380 and a MAG Mount antenna outside the window. He may be a mile or so closer than I am. And no we don't use AMPs just a 5 watt HT.

IW2BSF

Looking at that pic and some videos on Youtube, the threaded outer barrel broke away from the flange. That confirms my suspicions about the quality (?) of the SMA connector they are using. Normally when I see a failure related to the antenna SMA connector on an HT it is the center pin breaking off, not the outer threaded barrels.

dcrisis

Premium Subscriber
I also have this question. MD-2017 broke within a week. RT-82 has enough different parts. I also wonder if this is one of them. I'm having trouble getting a replacement for the TYT connector.

DC

K9atk

Md 2017 antenna sma repair

Well two weeks into my fix on the antenna connection on the md 2017 and still holding and handled a few purpose dropping of the ht
So what i did was took the stock antenna off mixed up some jb weld and filled the well the stock antenna base fills up not much is needed let the jb weld dry overnight and now using a diamond antenna

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
According to Jason at Ham 2.0 Online, all TYT distributors in the US have been sent replacement sma antenna connectors that are stronger than the factory originals.

Simply contact your dealer for a free replacement. It is very simple to install the new connector.

N3OIA

Anyone know if using an SMA to BNC adapter would help this issue? I typically use BNC so I can swap to a mag-mount antenna at will.

IW2BSF

AFTER the sma broken and the PTT key hard ,,,,others HW problems ? 73

teufler

the sma connnector

Its sort of like a tower. TYT has designed it as a free standing tower and it can be top heavy at times. Without the stock antenna, which is like some guy wires to a free standing antenna., the sma or "tower" becomes very top heavy and has a tendency to pull the tower base or the sma out of the radio, by breaking the connector. If you try a connector that does not have a nbase that is as wide as the stock antenna, you will over load the sma and it will break off. Replacement connector from China are free, it the postage that will set you back $17.00. Even with the stock antenna, its a fragile design and best left in the shack.

teufler

I should apply for a refund on postage

I got charged withing 3 days of owning the radio. I don't think that had many radios in circulation yet so the problems looked like an isolated case rather than a design flaw.

c_snyder

So is it safe to say this problem is being fixed and doesn't apply to radios in current production? I was honestly thinking about ordering one but only if this issue is fixed.

N1GMV

I pulled a reverse SMA from an old Baofeng UV5R and put it in my MD-2017. I am now running it with one of the later Baofeng antennas and it works fantastic on both UHF and VHF.

It was not a perfect fit but once all assembled it looks fine

Status
Not open for further replies.