• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT TH-7800 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

drayd48

So I recently just got a nice little TYT TH-7800 VHF/UHF radio. I like it pretty good and it has great range. I have a few questions about the features of the radio however,

1. Will this radio listen to the FM commercial (music) radio? I though I saw somewhere it did, but I am probably wrong.

2. What is ARTS? Is that like a repeater system? Is there a way I could set me radio up as a repeater to use with my handheld radios and boost the power?

3. Is there a way I cold only set up a few scan lists instead of scanning all the channels? I would like to have a few "banks" that I could scan no more than 5-10 channels and I did not know if that was possible.

4. I know the radio will encode 2 and 5 tones, but will it decode them as tones come across?

5. Are the letter keys on the DTMF mic to store favorite channels like on the radio head A-F, or programmable to do other features? If not, what are they used for?

6. The radio will only let me put in AM aircraft frequencies in the left side of the radio and not the right. Is there a reason that is and can I fix it?

7. Will this radio do MDC?

Thanks so much and I hope to learn lots more about this radio.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
First thing is to RTFM although that may be the problem with these CCR. But I even RTFM on CCR first. If this is a copy of Yaesu radios, AIR AM is often only on 1 side. Newer radios if it has AIR AM now seem to be on both. ARTS could be the same thing as Yaesu Auto Range Transponder System. Which according to when I RTFM has nothing to do with repeater system. It is a polling system to tell if other amateurs with similar radio and the system turned on are within your range.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

teufler

Commercial FN is not available on the 7800. ARTS is like the Yaesu ATRS. They talk about its use in search and rescue operations, where you can determine the range to a fellolw searcher by "pinging" and see if you get in range or out of range. Typically it is a HT function. It has been used , with a crossband radio, where every 10 minutes it pings or sends your id, every 10 minutes. A crude id'er but it works in a pinch. 7800 software has fields that decode 2 tone. Only mic keys that I can fuind that are programmable are p1 thru p4. Again the software has that function. VHF on the left, uhf on the right for programming, but you can display vhf vhf but the left side is vhf input. No banks available, even the 9800 does not do banks. But you could program what you want and select omit on scan except for say 20 channels. This would function like banks. MDC, no, there is no serial port on the radio. The software has a function to decode dtmf by users. It would sort of function like an MDC.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
7. Will this radio do MDC? In amateur radio there is no need for this.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
So I recently just got a nice little TYT TH-7800 VHF/UHF radio. I like it pretty good and it has great range. I have a few questions about the features of the radio however,

<snip>

3. Is there a way I cold only set up a few scan lists instead of scanning all the channels? I would like to have a few "banks" that I could scan no more than 5-10 channels and I did not know if that was possible.
.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
There are NO scan banks in this radio.

You can sort of get a scan bank effect by using "Preferential Memory Scanning".

"Preferential Memory Scanning" allows you to mark certain memory channels to be scanned only, bypassing all other memory channels..

Go to page 30 of the manual that came with your radio,

After you mark the memory channels you want to scan,

Go to the menu system #26 SCAN MODE and change itand save the value "MSM".
Close the menu function, then start a scan in the usual manner.

The TH7800 will now scan only the "Preferential Memory Scanning" marked memory channels.

Unfortunately you will wiil have to mark each channel you want in "Preferential Memory Scanning" individually, using the [V/M],[DIAL], [SCN] keys on the contrl head.

I have not found any way to do this using CHIRP or Tytera's OEM program..

drayd48

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I have one more question. I just joined my local FD and have not yet been issued a pager (I have the 2 tone A/B). Can I make my radio operate as a pager and alert me when the tones go off? If yes, how do I do that? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.