Tytera TYT TH-9800 Keeps Killing Microphones

FireGuy0723

Hey all, I've been having a serious problem with my TYT mobile I can't seem to track down. For whatever reason it seems like the microphones keep burning out. All functions on the radio function normally, keypad on the microphone and all side buttons work, backlighting works, I can transmit and there is a signal going out, however there is no audio whatsoever, only static.

This has happened multiple times in the past, and I've gone through four or five replacement microphones. They only seem to last a few weeks before audio stops transmitting all together. I've opened a few up and couldn't find any signs of burnt out resistors, corrosion or anything obvious that would indicate a fail.

Any ideas? Is the microphone inside failing? Are these mics built that cheap? The radio itself is a few years old, and has worked really well. I don't wasn't to just continue to buy replacement microphones, but at this point I'm considering getting a new mobile all together even though the radio itself seems to work fine.

DaveTheGreat1

No, but I have had two fresh-from-the-box 9800s that did the same thing. They transmit a strong signal, but there is no audio (not even when I key the number pad to try to transmit an audible tone). I'm ripping my hair out trying to figure out what the heck is going on.
They DO transmit audio in crossband repeater mode. I set up the radio as a repeater, and transmit audio from my HT through the 9800. So ... it seems the radio itself can transmit audio but the mics don't.
I have also swapped in some working mics and had the same issue, so my guess is it's not the mics per se, it's where the mic is plugged in or processed or something.