Tyt th7800 heat question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobrcastle

Hello,

I recently got my technician license and bought the tyt th 7800 mobile radio for my car. I read that the radio has a tendency to heat up with use and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. I plan on leaving the main body of the radio under my seat and mounting the head near the dash and just want to insure that this won't be a fire hazard.

Thanks,
Jacob

N4KVE

In the past when I have used radios where the heat sink got hot, I would put a small 12 volt cooling fan to blow air on the heat sink. That kept the radio cool. Took 3 cooling fans side by side to keep my 100 watt MCS2000 cool.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
TH-7800 come with a small cooling fan installed. I've had one of mine installed under the front pax seat in my Toyota Camry for about six months now with nary a problem.

N4KVE

Well then he's GTG. The radios where I added the fan did not come with one. Motorola Maxtrac, Kenwood TK 840, & 880, Motorola MCS2000. They got hot fast, but they were not designed for long winded hams. Just for "where's my next stop, or going to lunch now".

teufler

friend has a tyt 7800. Worked good for about 1 yr, got hot but finally it has quit altogether. Maybe was heat related, don't know but it does not work anymore

wrath

Hot as in fire and "hot" as in I burned the radio up are different , you really can't hurt a radio by hooking up a higher speed fan to agressively cool a radio, it will just protect it from thermal failure , from a long rag chew or exceeding the duty cycle .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.