• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT9800 in a 2016 Dodge Dart

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper9285

Does anyone here have experience with installing a two way radio, with a control head into a 2016 Dodge Dart. I haven't been able to find any detailed information that would help with routing wires, and placement of the radio. I want to place the control head under the environmental controls, but I have no idea where to mount the radio. Any information would be helpful.

kb2idx

"Open yer ears and shut yer pie hole! "
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone here have experience with installing a two way radio, with a control head into a 2016 Dodge Dart. I haven't been able to find any detailed information that would help with routing wires, and placement of the radio. I want to place the control head under the environmental controls, but I have no idea where to mount the radio. Any information would be helpful.
you might try crutchfield website. you punch in your vehicle and they show you everything that fits as well as some
videos on many vehicles. its worth a try. ya never know. i will go look too.
chris

kb2idx

"Open yer ears and shut yer pie hole! "
Premium Subscriber
Sadly Crutchfield was no help. Any other ideas?
well i'm going thru this with my saturn. as far as routing wires is concerned,
you have to be able to remove panels and slide wiring under carpets with
an installers wire running tool. (amazon $15 or $20)
I am lucky to have a friend who knows how to do this stuff and he works cheap.
all he wants is a meal and a puff of uncle bob's glaucoma medicine. Lol
seriously though it would do you well to stop by a place that does install
and see if they will give some free advice. Also ask them how much they want
to do it . I would expect it to be maybe $100 ish.
if that doesn't fit the budget than see if you can find info for removing the panels
and replacing them with out scratching up as well. there are plastic tools for this and are
similarly priced thru amazon.
chris

WQWD609

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2013 Dart Aero that i installed a tyt 7800 (same radio just dual band). I mounted the control head above the rear view mirror and the actual radio is zip ties under the passenger front seat. I ran all the wiring for the control head (including the mic) down the passenger b pillar behind the airbag. I also put a remote speaker on the rear package tray so i can hear it. The mic cable comes into the center console so i can hide the mic or unplug it at any time. If it wasn't for the antennas you wouldn't know it was there. I will try and post some pictures this week of the install.

I did have to drill a hole in the firewall to route the power into the passenger compartment.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That radio and control head are pretty compact. I've got one in my FJ. With mounting it in a Dart I would try to put the chassis under the driver seat. Keep the ground wire short. You can likely use one of the seat mounting bolts to attach it to. For the power wire run it straight forward to the engine compartment. The TIPM is on the drivers side and should have a 8mm stud where the battery cable attaches to it where you can also put your radio lead. Make sure everything is fused. Another thing to consider is adding a relay to the power wire so the radio will turn on and off with the ignition. Amazon has weatherproof 12v automotive relays with harness pretty cheap. To trigger the relay you can use a fuse tap off of one of the switched relays at the TIPM. I've been running my radio for years off an ignition relay like this and it's been fine. Also, I highly suggest getting an external speaker for the radio. The stock one isn't the best especially when competing with road noise. Also be sure to disconnect the battery while doing the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.