• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera Tytera MD UV-380 - How to do this?

MikeSD

Radio: TYT MD UV380 with GPS
Hotspot: ZumSpot 3.5" display

I have a few things I'd like to be able to do. I think some of this is possible, just don't know how. I'll start with the possible.

Possible?

1) The problem I have right now is that when I'm using RX groups to listen to other channels, but wish to primarily use one specific channel, that if I'm interrupted by another receive channel, and I key up, I'm now on that channel transmitting. I'd like to be able to converse on the specific channel I dialed on my radio and not have to keep changing the channel back to my original.

I have heard there is a way to do this using the monitor function but the videos seem to be outdated, and the software that allowed this doesn't work with the newer radios. I almost brickied by radio today, following those instructions.

So, what is the best way to do what I want. I think it was called "promiscuous mode"

2) One can't have every talk group programmed into their radio. At least not efficiently. Too much dialing or scrolling. Is there a way to jump to an unprogrammed TalkGroup and stay there, for a conversation. Say someone says, "let's go to TG XYZ" and it's not programmed into my radio.

I know I can manually enter a TalkGroup by selecting Contacts-->Manual Call and entering the TG number. And if I key up, I'm transmitting to that TG. However, the minute I unkey, that TG is lost. The next time I key up, I'm on the TG that my radio was originally in.

How can I do what I want? Manually call a TalkGroup and stay there for a conversation?

Maybe not possible?

1) Is there any way to get other information on the radio, other than the default 3 lines. Now I have Talk Group (top line), Talk Group (middle line), Zone (bottom line). When someone keys up, all I get is the TG and the Radio ID. Kind of useless info. I have seen some radios put up a lot of info on the screen. Maybe I just bought the wrong radio. :)

It would be nice if there was a way to have the TG and the Callsign of the talker, and other info. Is that possible?

Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The expanded information comes from matching the received DMR ID# with a database loaded in your radio and displaying that information in place of the DMR ID#. I don't know if the UV380 has that ability. The Anytone 868 and 878 does.
Mike

w2xq

Mentor
Maybe not possible?

1) Is there any way to get other information on the radio, other than the default 3 lines. Now I have Talk Group (top line), Talk Group (middle line), Zone (bottom line). When someone keys up, all I get is the TG and the Radio ID. Kind of useless info. I have seen some radios put up a lot of info on the screen. Maybe I just bought the wrong radio. :)

It would be nice if there was a way to have the TG and the Callsign of the talker, and other info. Is that possible?

Mike
Get the N0GSG software N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page -- read the PDF documentation -- to manage, filter et al the DMR contacts list databases. The database is too large to load the whole file.

FWIW promiscuous mods on the MD-UV380 is possible, so I am told, with a read of the manual but it is a PITA IMHO. I bagged it, and organized my codeplug to get around.

The MD-UV380 is a bulletproof radio. See:

HTH a bit.

MikeSD

My radio is Tytera MD UV380 with GPS

I'm thinking I might just bag the promiscuous mode too. I think it requires a hack anyway.

I"m trying to use RX Groups like they were intended.
1) Zone gives me a list of channels. If I only have that, I only hear what I'm dialed to.
2) But if I use an RX List, I can monitor simultaneously, other TG that I might be interested in. But my active channel is just what I'm dialed to.

I might have to buy myself another radio to get the other displays I like better. I think my TYT UV380 is limited to only the 3 lines.
In IDLE
Band 1
Band 2
Group

While active
TalkGroup
Radio ID

I think the other displays required TyToolz and the Miklor site says they no longer work for the UV380. So until I know differently, I"m not flashing my firmware with unknown versions.

Another thing I'm confused on.

I understand the Slot 1 vs. Slot 2 thing. But I don't understand, on my Radio, the purpose of ChA and ChB lists. My manual has mangled english and it's not easy to follow. Kind of useless actually. Why 2 lists? When I select a Zone, I can see lists for channels as ChA and ChB. For now, I just make them both the same. I'm thinking it might be for Band 1 (Top), or Band B (Bottom) use. Not sure

Solved:

Well that was an easy test. I just blanked out all the Channel B list and it came up Unprogrammed, on the lower band. So it's band related. Although Band is a misnomer, since both are being set to UHF.

Now the question is how to best make use of this. I don't see that making them duplicates makes any sense, unless I just want to monitor 2 different talk groups. But I can do that with only 1 band and using RX Group List.

What would be a good use for this CHB list, for DMR purposes only, assuming I'm not actually using VHF? I know I could just use that band for analog, or digital simplex (non DMR), but these radios are going to be used for DMR only.

Last edited: