Tytera MD380 TOOLS from WH6AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluke281

WH6AV's firmware for the MD380 installs a new opening screen and many useful options in the Utilities section of the MD380 menu. It allows you to change background images, add a microphone volume meter, change the length of time for the backlight, use a promiscuous mode,and many others. The most useful feature is called UsersCSV in the MDTOOLS section of Utilities. It allows a database of 3 Mb to be loaded into the MD380 so that an amateur's radio ID is matched with the name, call sign, location, and talkgroup and displayed on the screen. This feature can be turned off as well. For scanner users, the talkgroup of a DMR commercial or municipal site only is displayed and can be used to program other radios.In promiscuous mode, you do not need to have talkgroup information in advance.
MD380 TOOLS must be downloaded to radio using a Debian compatible Linux system such as a Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu and its forks such as Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Zorin, and Linux Mint. There is no need to install one of these on the computer since Linux Mint or others can be run from booting a live USB drive using a program such as YUMI for Windows. The Linux ISO can also be burned to a live DVD for a live CD. The instructions on
https://github.com/wh6av/md380-radio
were written for a Raspberry Pi controlled through SSH such as putty.exe. In Linux terminal mode (CLI), where the commands must be entered, I had success with Setup Procedure 2 and used "sudo apt-get install git -y" to install git. After installing the program in terminal mode, it runs through numerical menu choices and follow the instructions on the page to continue. To update the database with a live USB or DVD, you will need to start from scratch since the program is being run in memory only.

Kb2Jpd

Thank you ! From Adam Kb2Jpd.

Now all we need is one ISO that would allow all DMR radios to be programmed from one image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kb2Jpd

WH6AV's firmware for the MD380 installs a new opening screen and many useful options in the Utilities section of the MD380 menu. It allows you to change background images, add a microphone volume meter, change the length of time for the backlight, use a promiscuous mode,and many others. The most useful feature is called UsersCSV in the MDTOOLS section of Utilities. It allows a database of 3 Mb to be loaded into the MD380 so that an amateur's radio ID is matched with the name, call sign, location, and talkgroup and displayed on the screen. This feature can be turned off as well. For scanner users, the talkgroup of a DMR commercial or municipal site only is displayed and can be used to program other radios.In promiscuous mode, you do not need to have talkgroup information in advance.

MD380 TOOLS must be downloaded to radio using a Debian compatible Linux system such as a Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu and its forks such as Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Zorin, and Linux Mint. There is no need to install one of these on the computer since Linux Mint or others can be run from booting a live USB drive using a program such as YUMI for Windows. The Linux ISO can also be burned to a live DVD for a live CD. The instructions on

https://github.com/wh6av/md380-radio

were written for a Raspberry Pi controlled through SSH such as putty.exe. In Linux terminal mode (CLI), where the commands must be entered, I had success with Setup Procedure 2 and used "sudo apt-get install git -y" to install git. After installing the program in terminal mode, it runs through numerical menu choices and follow the instructions on the page to continue. To update the database with a live USB or DVD, you will need to start from scratch since the program is being run in memory only.

And a good next step is to make a USB drive version that would keep all your personal settings permanent and only update the firmware and CSV files to the latest version. That's called " persistent file system "

Kb2Jpd

I sure hope he isn't claiming all this as his own, because this is all the work of Travis Goodspeed and his counterparts.

https://github.com/travisgoodspeed/md380tools

Why don't you just ask him directly?

The whole point of all this effort is not for fame, but if this continues, we could see the beginnings of open source software as well as open source hardware.

I would love to have serval radios field programmable for new modes. I love the old Raspberry Pi transceiver project that did multi-mode transceiver capacities.

w5rah

I downloaded the WH6AV interface for MD380 tools on my Pi 3 and found it very easy to use and update my MD-380 to the Goodspeed firmware mods. Downloaded the CSV of the database as well and really like how it works. I've only been using it for about 30 minutes now, but so far I really like the mods done to the firmware.

galpuro808

No Claim To Fame, Just a worthy cause to help other Ham Ops

I haven't and don't take claim to Travis Goodspeeds MD380tools. I just wrote a program designed to make it simple for the general population of fellow Ham Radio Operators to install it on a Raspberry Pi2 or 3. Now on the other hand, there's others out there that has copied what I have done without permission or acknowledgement.

I sure hope he isn't claiming all this as his own, because this is all the work of Travis Goodspeed and his counterparts.

https://github.com/travisgoodspeed/md380tools

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I haven't and don't take claim to Travis Goodspeeds MD380tools. I just wrote a program designed to make it simple for the general population of fellow Ham Radio Operators to install it on a Raspberry Pi2 or 3. Now on the other hand, there's others out there that has copied what I have done without permission or acknowledgement.

Thanks for clarifying! I really didn't expect that was the case but just wanted to make sure. Apologies if I came across heavy handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.