U-Call/Tac use

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
does anyone know who to contact to recieve the "rules" on using the U-Call frequency? I know only certain base stations can use the frequency, but I want to know WHAT KIND of base station. Im wondering if a Fire Station would be allowed to use it.

Again, who do I contact?

Thanks

Pete

johnvassel

Pete,

Since the creation of these frequencies is for mutual aid, I seriously doubt you'll be granted permission. As you've seen, if you need a 2nd channel, it can be done in the current spectrum by applying for a license.
I suppose if you were intent on trying to get a base to operate on these channels, you'd simply apply for an FCC license on those frequencies and see what happens.
The tri-county area has no less than 2 inter-agency repeated mutual aide frequencies for fire ops, and in your area, there's yet a 3rd. The idea of using these locally as tactical channels isnt frowned upon primarily because 4 watt walkie talkies dont travel far.
If we all had these as secondary channels at our stations, it'd be utter chaos.

John

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I would talk to the local Michigan or national APCO frequency coordinator. They would have all the rules about licensing on U-CALL/U-TAC frequency pairs. Likewise, its not a bad idea for all of the mobile and portable radios to have them programmed accordingly. Some states, like Kansas are coordinating the use of these new frequencies on a statewide level for base radios. However, the local departments are responsible for their own licensing for their own mobile and portable units.

73's

Ron

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
Thank you thunderbolt for the links. John, If you have been to any Eaton Co. 911 Meetings, they are recommending that we get those frequencies. I will keep you updated as to how we can get those frequencies. The main idea for use is in a WIDE SCALE event, or when and if we are ever called out of area for operations (IE: search/rescue ops, disasters, etc) Ingham County radios all have the U-Tac channels, and we will be getting four mobiles and portables. Our department plans on reprogramming our current radios to match the templates of the EDACS conventional channels, which include U-Tac channels.

Again, i will contact the above link, and I will update you on our progress John.

again thunderbolt, thanks for the link.

Pete Strank
ERTFD

johnvassel

Thanks Pete,

Yes, I get to a meeting now and then. lol. We're running them in our preps here, and probably once we get some 16 channel mobiles we'll be doing that too. But as a base, seems a bit unnecessary since any mutual aide will more than likely be occuring in the field vs at our station.
Let me know what you find out. I'd been told that the only one who'd have them as base frequencies in our county would be central and they, with the addition of what they call a 'black box' be able to patch the vhf/uhf/800mhz channels.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.