U.S. Department of Defense: Project 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7YUO

System ID: 14C
WACN: BEE00

This listing shows up in the Tooele County Database,
however no frequencies or other information is listed for Utah.

I would like to start some discussion on this.
I realize that it is a P25 digital system, so a digital scanner is a must.
Also, DPG is remotely located, so you have to be in a good location to receive their signals.

Information:
Dugway Proving Ground (DPG) was using VHF radios.
They began a move to a 380 MHz trunked system.

The radios are ASTRO-XTS-5000 MODEL2, 380-435mhz.

Zone A was supposed to be on Five Mile Hill with 16 channels.

Zone B was supposed to be on Cedar Mountain with 8 channels.
Note: Cedar Mountain is also the location of Utah Military TSYS Site 2

When the Air Base at hill migrated from VHF to UHF-trunked, The trunked TGRPs took most of the same names and functions as the old VHF channels

Here are some of the labels of the old DPG VHF channels:
admin, maintenance, dpg police, paging, eoc, eod, hornet tower, security,
cap, helicopters, decon, fire/crash, medical, roads/maintanance, airfield

Is anybody interested in getting more information on this system?

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I'm always interested in that kind of stuff.....I used to have all gov freq's and systems programmed into my scanners when I lived out that way and worked for the army depot.....used to camp and ride motorcycles out in skull valley all the time......

Just a question since DPG is also tied into Lakeside (just on the east end of the salt flats) and is refered to as HAFB Test & Training Range.....are there transmitter facilities which extend down skull valley and out near the salt flats as well?

N7YUO

That highway sign near Delle is confusing. It says Military Area Lakeside. Well, Lakeside is not in the military area. Click on this map, click on #8 and select birds eye view. When the map comes into view, look on the right & see Lakeside Road. Follow it and see where Lakeside really is.
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Dugway Proving Ground (US Army) is adjacent to the Utah Test & Training Range (UTTR) (Air Force)
They do share some facilities on Dugway

N7YUO

Hmm, interesting and amusing. I travel to Oasis, UTTR several times a year to perform hoist inspections.
About 3/4 of a mile from the Oasis Gate, the road forks. A sign there says LAKESIDE---->
I never had any reason to try to go there, so I never knew it crossed UTTR.

As far as munitions disposal goes, It is usually done near a location called Bug Hill which is not near any roads.

Here is how his Toyota could have looked:
GruntDoc » Blog Archive » F-16 takes out tyranical suburban!! – SportsCarForums.com

And a link to the local news article:
F-16 strafing probe blames pilot error | The Salt Lake Tribune

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Jon is correct....when I was employed by Uncle Sam we used to run support missions out to Lakeside....that sucker was a muddy, sticky mess this time of year......

We provided 400 Hz generators to power testing equipment which tracked the munitions dropped from HAFB Aircraft at that site.....It's a bare lot of nothing out there but there is a full time security force which drive the perimeter of the fences....I had a friend who was graveyard security out there....

They had a policy of shoot first and ask questions later because it was such a remote location....nobody should have been stumbling there by accident.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.