U S Fish & Wildlife Service Ventura County

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
I can’t find any listings for USFWS. They have an office in the city of Ventura & responded this morning to a bear in Santa Paula.
Any info will be appreciated.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Since they have an office in town, do some recon. Is there antennas on the vehicles?
Could be using cell phones or a LTE 5G system.
Have a scanner with close call? Sit near the office and see if you pick up anything. If you are close by, try searching 165 to 174 frequencies and log the hits then weed out the known frequencies, might get lucky and find a new one.
Being Memorial day weekend they could be busy.

ecps92

I can’t find any listings for USFWS. They have an office in the city of Ventura & responded this morning to a bear in Santa Paula.
Any info will be appreciated.
Just means not reported/submitted to the RRDB

FWS monitoring varies across the country for activity, some places so slow/quite they use cellphones, others rural and need to rely on two-way radios.

I'd suggest/urge searching 162-174 for a few weeks and see what you can find, then share your observations

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Regarding Randyk4661 Post #5:
First of all I’m 83 with cerebral palsy stuck at home in a wheelchair. I only get out for medical appointments.
Second I’ve been scanning the federal bands periodically for over 40 years. Nothing I can pin down to FWS

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
It turns out I had a USFWS repeater years ago but thought it was Los Padres NF (LPNF). That repeater is long gone. Here’s that story

The Sespe Condor Sanctuary is in LPNF, practically in my backyard.
Beginning in the late 1990s repeater pair 163.1500/164.6250 was active as multiple teams kept eyes on multiple nesting sites. Then sometime ago (15+/- years), silence. Apparently this was a repeater established by FWS for this project. End of project, end of repeater. 163.1500 remains in my Los Padres NF group which is regularly scanned. Nada. I believe HQ was in Fillmore

Keep an eye on 163.1500/164.6250 for USFWS elsewhere. Both these frequencies are on Chris Parris list of Department of the Interior Frequencies

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I'm finding this here

Ventura is in the South Coast region.

I don't see anything for the U.S. listings

This link is for the State of California, Department of Fish and Wildlife, not the federal U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. As far as radio systems neither have anything to do with each other. There is a radio system on the Condor Refuge in the eastern portion of the county. I had the frequencies at some point, but I can't find them now. It only covered the refuge and not the entire county. None of this is helpful. The USFWS has some of the worst radio systems in the federal government. They just aren't funded sufficiently. They have the fewest number of employees per acre of land than any federal land management agency.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Normally such incidents (bear, mtn lion, etc) are handled by the State DFW, arent they? I'd be surprised that a federal agency would be called in for something like this, unless it occurred on federal property? Even so, I can think of instances in the Angeles NF where CA DFW was called in on an incident.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The best information I have is that Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge is on 163.1500 out, 164.6250 input or possibly the reverse. They are dispatched by the Los Padres Comm Center. They might use the LP's comm system away from Hopper Mtn. This is very old info, but it is all I have.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
The best information I have is that Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge is on 163.1500 out, 164.6250 input or possibly the reverse. They are dispatched by the Los Padres Comm Center. They might use the LP's comm system away from Hopper Mtn. This is very old info, but it is all I have.

After the big high-band realignment a few(+) years back, condor tracking moved to 172.8125 (out) with a tone of 146.2 . It has been a long, long time since I last had that in a regular scan list, so I don't know if they are still active there or not.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Today’s, May 28, Ventura County Star has the article about the bear in Santa Paula which states that it was the California DFW which responded not USFW as stated by KVTA.

Oh well, what the h..l

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Normally such incidents (bear, mtn lion, etc) are handled by the State DFW, arent they? I'd be surprised that a federal agency would be called in for something like this, unless it occurred on federal property? Even so, I can think of instances in the Angeles NF where CA DFW was called in on an incident.

States have jurisdiction over the actual animal when it comes to fish and wildlife on National Forest land. The U.S. Forest Service manages the habitat or home for said animals. The USFS and state fish and game agencies work very closely together. They all work within the greater natural resources/land management family.