U.S. GAO rules in favor of Motorola over Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Government Accountability Office (GAO) sided with Motorola Solutions on a protest filed by the vendor for an Army LMR contract awarded to Harris.

Motorola Solutions protested the award of a contract to Harris under request for proposals (RFP) No. W91CRB-13-R-0024, issued by the Department of the Army, U.S. Army Materiel Command, for an LMR system for the Detroit Arsenal in Michigan. Motorola said that the agency misevaluated Harris’ proposal and improperly made the award to that firm.

Read the full GAO report here:

U.S. GAO - Motorola Solutions, Inc.

rapidcharger

Next time motorola should come in with the higher bid, then maybe they'd win the contract.
ok.gif

chudson584

To bad. I compare motorola to apple. overpriced worthless junk that like to monopalize the industry. id rather carry a harris.

prcguy

Wow, I would never degrade an innovative company like Apple by comparing them to Blotorola..... Seems like the only way Bloat can win a contract these days is to cry, whine or threaten to sue. Let's see if they can actually produce a system that even remotely meets expectations, which they seldom do these days. There was a time when Motorola was it, but that was a long time ago.
prcguy

To bad. I compare motorola to apple. overpriced worthless junk that like to monopalize the industry. id rather carry a harris.

FiremanSparky

GAO rules in favor of Motorola over Harris

What I find interesting about the whole deal, reading through the decision, is the fact that Harris, among other things, was planning to use the APX-7000 to meet the bid requirements because none of its radio's were on the MPSCS approved list!

F

What I find interesting about the whole deal, reading through the decision, is the fact that Harris, among other things, was planning to use the APX-7000 to meet the bid requirements because none of its radio's were on the MPSCS approved list!

F
SO HA, all you little Motorola Haters. WAH WAH WAH

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
...Harris...was planning to use the APX-7000 to meet the bid requirements because none of its radio's were on the MPSCS approved list!
It's not unusual for systems integrators to cherry pick the best equipment or the equipment that will meet the spec in order to get a big contract even if that equipment comes from competitors.

What's troubling, though, is the thought that MPSCS only has Motorola equipment on their approved list. No, I don't know what's on the list and I could be making a leap in assuming that only Motorola user radios are approved. However, if the MPSCS list only includes Motorola, then MPSCS might have some 'splainin' to do as to why they've single-sourced an item. That's anti-competitive and generally a no-no in government bidding.

Searay

Premium Subscriber
Motorola is the way to go....

All I have to say is way to go Motorola. I have been involved with Public Safety communications for about 20 years and while other vendors on the market make good quality radios, Motorola is the only one I would trust when my life depends on it. I would group Harris, Icom, Kenwood, Relm, EF Johnson, and others of the like as low end public safety radios or popular radios for the amateur radio industry. I am also a ham so I have seen that market as well. As far as comparing Motorola to Apple? I agree totally. They both are leaders in their industry and everyone else has tried to copy the... but they just can't make it....

Way to go Motorola...Way to go Apple....

My current Public Safety Radios: Motorola APX7000 VHF/800, VHF XTS5000, 800 - XTS5000
My current phone: Apple 5S for my wife, both sons, and myself and iPad Retina x's 2

Everyone have a great night....

PJH

Premium Subscriber
As stated, Motorola of today isn't what it is today. I have all high tier Motorola products, personally and professionally - but I am seriously looking into converting to Harris Unity's for both mobile and portable.

Before all the nay sayers get cranking... Harris makes quite a bit, if not a good bulk of military LMR radios along with Thales. They take MUCH more abuse in the field than a Unity of APX does.

Either way, the stuff is WAY too expensive these days.

prcguy

To add, Harris is the premier supplier of tactical radios to the US Gov and nobody holds a candle to them for the wide selection of radios from HF through several GHz. And these are not the radios they inherited from Ge-Ericsson-M/A-Com-Tyco, they are high end Harris designs.
prcguy

As stated, Motorola of today isn't what it is today. I have all high tier Motorola products, personally and professionally - but I am seriously looking into converting to Harris Unity's for both mobile and portable.

Before all the nay sayers get cranking... Harris makes quite a bit, if not a good bulk of military LMR radios along with Thales. They take MUCH more abuse in the field than a Unity of APX does.

Either way, the stuff is WAY too expensive these days.

Last edited:
All I have to say is way to go Motorola. I have been involved with Public Safety communications for about 20 years and while other vendors on the market make good quality radios, Motorola is the only one I would trust when my life depends on it. I would group Harris, Icom, Kenwood, Relm, EF Johnson, and others of the like as low end public safety radios or popular radios for the amateur radio industry. I am also a ham so I have seen that market as well. As far as comparing Motorola to Apple? I agree totally. They both are leaders in their industry and everyone else has tried to copy the... but they just can't make it....

Way to go Motorola...Way to go Apple....

My current Public Safety Radios: Motorola APX7000 VHF/800, VHF XTS5000, 800 - XTS5000
My current phone: Apple 5S for my wife, both sons, and myself and iPad Retina x's 2

Everyone have a great night....

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF, you basicly used there own argument against them. SUCKER Some people are to ignorant to realize that what they have said can be used against themselves. As I stated before 2 thumbs up for Motorola and another 2 thumbs up to "SEARAY".
If you have a problem with Motorola, I sincerely invite you to (SIT) on the peaks of my avator.

To add, Harris is the premier supplier of tactical radios to the US Gov and nobody holds a candle to them for the wide selection of radios from HF through several GHz. And these are not the radios they inherited from Ge-Ericsson-M/A-Com-Tyco, they are high end Harris designs.
prcguy
I Completely agree, everybody groups Harris radios together, when in reality, they should NOT BE. Harris makes wonderful tactical radios. These tactical radios are NOT the same as LMR radios, in any way shape, form or quality. People need to learn to seperate the 2 products and maybe there could be a balanced discussion.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Depends on what part of Harris your referring to. Traditional line, inherited MA/COM, inherited GE, etc.

Tactical radios and LMR radios have a LOT more in common than you think. Motorola did at one point supply similar radios back in the day. The closest they get are the SRX series radios which are nothing more than an XTS2500 with a NVG compatible display and come in a tan color.

This discussion will really go no where fast. Nintendo or Sega? Ford of Chevy? Black or White? Much is subjective.

Most of the recent issues with Motorola isn't necessarily their engineering, but their management and sales tactics. The relationships we have had in the public sector 20 years ago is what is causing us to keep buying from them, rather than a look at todays current business relationships.

In the past, the sales and marketing forces had people in their ranks that came from public safety or at least had a very good grasp on the true needs. Now we have 25 year old MBA's and marketing majors who want you to believe they have walked in our shoes and know what we want - before we even know it. We have been so brainwashed by all the major manufactures and trade organizations that we "need something" and its "a need" we forgot the basics.

P25 back then was a neat thing. Now under decades of use, what has it brought us? Not a whole lot. Analog IS interoperable, but now we need to be interoperable with five different flavors of RF when we had one...

Just something to think about.

FiremanSparky

GAO rules in favor of Motorola over Harris

It's not unusual for systems integrators to cherry pick the best equipment or the equipment that will meet the spec in order to get a big contract even if that equipment comes from competitors.

What's troubling, though, is the thought that MPSCS only has Motorola equipment on their approved list. No, I don't know what's on the list and I could be making a leap in assuming that only Motorola user radios are approved. However, if the MPSCS list only includes Motorola, then MPSCS might have some 'splainin' to do as to why they've single-sourced an item. That's anti-competitive and generally a no-no in government bidding.

I found this document:

http://michigan.gov/documents/mpscs/MPSCS_B2013-01_407011_7.pdf

As you can see, it includes radios by EF Johnson, Tait, Kenwood, Ma/Com-Harris, Bendix King, and Thales in addition to Motorola. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Harris discontinue the 7100/7200/7300 line?

F

szron

MPSCS approved radios list is available onlie.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mpscs/MPSCS_B2013-01_407011_7.pdf

While Moto is rulling the list you can find at least one radio from any other major manufacturer.

PACNWDude

It always makes me mad to see large companies whine when they lose out. Reminds me of the Boeing/Airbus lawsuits all the time.

As for Motorola, I prefer Harris and Thales 30-512 MHz radios for tactical use. (AN/PRC-152 Harris and AN/PRC-148 MBITR or JEM) Then Motorola for public safety and commercial use. Only due to most public safety agencies using them already.

For amateur and some commercial use, I use my Harris Unity mostly, with some Vertex/Yaesu (now Motorola) for amateur bands.

Motorola, Microsoft and Cisco Systems got big due to being American Companies with government contracts, then moved most of their production out of country to save on cost. I vote with my pocketbook with my own money and only buy these products used at a huge discount now.

My recommendation for everyone is to buy surplus gear and learn to fix or repair it. The big dollar grant money is not as easy to get as it used to be.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Having actually read the referenced document in its entireity, I'd say that the GAO's support of Motorola's protest is entirely and absolutely correct on all counts.

Yes, Harris tactical radios are NOT to be confused with the "GE legacy" line of products. Even today, the top end Harris P7300 is in NO way comparable to an APX. I have owned both APX6000s and 7000s and they are endlessly impressive. But the P7300 on my desk,although a decent radio, is simply not even in the same league with an APX. From an RF perspective it's not even as good as the now discontinued P7100 series although certainly it is a more modern radio capable of up to and including P25 Phase II TDMA. (My P7300 does have that feature enabled, not that I can actually make use of it yet.)

But, if I could truly AFFORD to buy any radio I want, I would gladly buy either of the two variants of the Harris AN/PRC-152A which are civilian legal to own. (RF-310M-HH and RF-7800M-HH)

However one of those will set you back about 18 grand. Maybe after a few more really good years I might be able to even THINK about it.

The point of the protest is simple and should be easy to comprehend: COMPLY WITH YOUR OWN SPECIFICATIONS when choosing who wins the bid.

Bruce42

Why Michigan

Does anyone know why the FEDs included the Michigan approved list in their specification? This was one contract. What do the other FED agencies use for a specification for their RFPs?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
In my experience, Motorola's business practices have not been so great. We've sent radios in for Flat Rate Repair, only to have them returned (un-repaired) because they were missing a knob, or a faceplate decal. So all of the radios leaving our shop for FRR must have new cases, knobs, decals and any other cosmetics installed before the radio leaves our facility. So, it ends up costing us a lot more than it should for a FRR.

So, if Motorola is doing this to other agencies, it wouldn't surprize me one bit if they lose those customers to other manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.