U S Park Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

itchy243mhz

Anyone know why the Park Police booms into Southern Maryland? Is it the amount power being used. 166.925 is where I am hearing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The repeaters for the Park Police on 166.725, 166.925, and 167.075 are on very high ground (on a tall pole) at Ft. Reno near Tenleytown inside DC. They are usually good strength even down here in Fredericksburg. Go to the intersection of 39th St NW and Fessenden St NW in Google Streetview and look SE. You will see the pole with all three antennas.

itchy243mhz

The repeaters for the Park Police on 166.725, 166.925, and 167.075 are on very high ground (on a tall pole) at Ft. Reno near Tenleytown inside DC. They are usually good strength even down here in Fredericksburg. Go to the intersection of 39th St NW and Fessenden St NW in Google Streetview and look SE. You will see the pole with all three antennas.

Thanks great info, it makes for excellent listening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Just for the heck of it I punched 166.925 in my scanner here in South Jersey. There booming here also, lots of chatter. Running a lot of Maryland license plates into "tower one".

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I hear them LC in Baltimore.. honking strong system with that elevation.

SkyPager

The transmitters for the USPP are:
Ch 1 (400 ft.) & Ch. 2 (300 ft.) at WRC-TV Nebraska Ave 350 w each.
Ch 3 Ft Reno 350 w.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The transmitters for the USPP are:
Ch 1 (400 ft.) & Ch. 2 (300 ft.) at WRC-TV Nebraska Ave 350 w each.
Ch 3 Ft Reno 350 w.

Not when I checked some years ago. I found both Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 coming from Ft. Reno at the site with 3 antennas (I located it by DFing Ch.1 and did not know of its existence before hand but ended up at the site labeled as being park service). Of course both locations are very close in Tenleytown (within sight of each other), but I was in the shadow of the Ft. Reno tower at the time with a spectrum analyzer. May be Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 backup transmitters are at the Ft. Reno site and were in use or things have changed since my visit. Tenleytown is the highest ground elevation in DC. How did you get info on the WRC tower? I have a new portable spectrum analyzer arriving this week-sounds like a time for a revisit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.