U.S. Ship Fires on Motorboat in Gulf of Suez; 1 Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
U.S. Ship Fires on Motorboat in Gulf of Suez; 1 Dead

Monday , March 24, 2008

CAIRO, Egypt —

An Egyptian man was shot dead and two others wounded in an incident involving a U.S.-flagged cargo ship transversing the Suez Canal in the direction of the Mediterannean Sea, reported security officials late Monday.

After sunset, a motor boat carrying three Egyptians approached the "Global Patriot" with the intent of selling products when the ship opened fire on it with tracer bullets killing Mohammed Fouad and wounding the other two occupants, said an Egyptian navy official on customary condition of anonymity.

A police official in Cairo, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the incident, adding that some hundred other boat vendors had since gathered near the cargo ship and were demanding an investigation into the shooting.

There is a "Global Patriot" registered to the New York-based Global Container Lines and, according to the company Web site, the vessel trades between the United States, the Red Sea, the Persian Gulf and the East Africa.

Company representative Homruz Shayegan told The Associated Press by telephone from New York that he had no information on the incident.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Fifth Fleet based in Bahrain also had not heard about the event.

According to the Egyptian naval official, the ship had sailed from Dubai and was transporting used military equipment. It had completed crossing canal and was in a waiting area, known as the Zenobia Lighthouse, in preparation to enter the Mediterranean when the incident took place.

Fisherman and small motor boats constantly ply the waters of the canal looking to sell cigarettes and other local products to passing ships.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341211,00.html

D

DaveNF2G

Interesting. Some sources report no injuries, while others report varying numbers of fatalities.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
All they wanted to do was to sell some sailor some Winstons and a Comic book:roll:

That was sarcasm folks. This ship is B I G! Like Pre-positioning force big. No motorboat is pulling up to the side to this thing to sell anybody anything unless they have a 50ft scissorjack on board.

elk2370bruce

DanTSX said:
All they wanted to do was to sell some sailor some Winstons and a Comic book:roll:

That was sarcasm folks. This ship is B I G! Like Pre-positioning force big. No motorboat is pulling up to the side to this thing to sell anybody anything unless they have a 50ft scissorjack on board.
Nah! They were just trying to introduce their virgin sisters to the cooped-up sailers. I know they were virgins since their sons told me so.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Strange how the report doesn't say anything about if the ship sent out hails of warning not to approach, if the people on the boat made threatening moves, etc.

Wonder what kind of weapon they were using on the ship? Especially w/ tracers!

Faux News Network?

SCPD

QRT
what do people think happens when the military says stop. obviously some people are too stupid to figure anything out

car2back

lakekid313 said:
what do people think happens when the military says stop. obviously some people are too stupid to figure anything out
Where did you read the military was involved? :confused:

Austin4Wyo

car2back said:
Where did you read the military was involved? :confused:
To be fair, CNN is stating that the merchant ship was contracted by the US Military. That doesn't necessarily mean that this individual wasn't jumping the gun plenty, though, so I'll stay out of this little tête à tête.

I'm not familiar with maritime law. What are the rights/obligations of a vessel that feels it's under attack by another unidentified vessel?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Any story by Faux News is suspect. That's not to say any media doesn't spoon feed you with propaganda only Faux adds a bit of spice.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
b7spectra said:
Strange how the report doesn't say anything about if the ship sent out hails of warning not to approach, if the people on the boat made threatening moves, etc.

Wonder what kind of weapon they were using on the ship? Especially w/ tracers!

Faux News Network?
I think I read somewhere that it was a handgun of all things. Either way, no matter what they were shooting, it was enough of an attention grabber to cause two of the other boats to turn away immediatly.

These are US Navy security teams assigned to the ship during the transit of the suez. The probably get on the ship at Port Said. I would imagine that they are carrying light carbines and maybe a squad automatic weapon at most. maybe a couple of stingers. I imagine there is the possibility of Sniper emplacement, but that is unlikely as Snipers do not normally cover such a large area as the perimiter of a ship. 360 of monitoring is tough!
At most, they may have one of those new lightweight auto-grenade launchers, but that would be tough to move from one side to another in a short time.

Soon, robots will do the job:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.