U-tube Programming Video BCT15X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7CAR

I'm new on here and a recent owner of a BCT15X. My first new scanner in 10 years. Times have changed haven't they! Wow, what a bugger trying to figure out how to program this electronic marvel! After 2 weeks I think I've got it mostly figured out except for programming the trunk freqs. Conventional programming and running it off my computer (FreeScan) hasn't been too difficult, but the push this button, hold, spin around, cough, look the other way has me scratching my head when I do the trunking

I spent a couple hours last night on U-tube looking for a how to programming video and came up with not much. Does Uniden have something like this or some where online? Be nice to have a work through showing the basic programming etc. I haven't thrown it out the window yet, so there's hope!.....:)

SCPD

QRT
k7car, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll walk you thru it. It's pretty easy. We can probably chat over VHF/UHF if you'd like - I'm not too far from ya.

-Nick, n7zya

K7CAR

Thanks Nick, I found a tutorial on the Uniden site on trunked systems and it's starting to click now. I programmed in a trunk system for the Eastside and it's working! All right that just freaked me out, I have my scanner sound coming through my PC speakers and I'm still on the Uniden website. There's the sound of a racecar buzzing by every 10 seconds. I thought it was coming from my scanner!.....Geez, I need to take a nap. LOL

I made up another trunked system with the west control channel and not getting anything out of that, so I better delete it and start over. I'm still not sure how to program in the group ID's. If I want to only listen to Fire? I'll shoot you off a PM. Thanks for the help. Kent

GTstyle

I've been thinking of getting a BCT15X in the next few days, is there anywhere cheap to buy 1 in WA?

I'm in northern BC but will be in WA on the 19th. Was hoping to either have found a good deal online & have it shipped (& arrived) in WA by the 19th or just hold out to grab 1 from a local store. Any leads?

nickcarr - could you give me a basic walkthrough on how to program a BCT15X?
I'll be honest I've never used a scanner before (well my dad had an old crystal type unit in the '70's/'80's), but I did get my hands on an ICOM F3 & figured out how to use that as a ghetto style scanner up here in the north (only 1 police band made it easy to follow along).

K7CAR - Do you still have that link handy for the Uniden tutorial?

I won't have a lot of time on the ground to learn how to read up how to program, so I hope to learn as much now, quickly install into my vehicle (also thought of getitng the BC-RH96 so I can hide the BCT15X away for security), & be able to @ least monitor police bands as I head back to BC.

K7CAR

Here's that link to the tutorial. http://www.uniden.com/products/ButIjustwanttolistentothePolice.pdf It only covers the explanation of trunked systems and doesn't give you programming help. :( I would go to each individual online manual and read up on the basics. You can find those on the Uniden website.

You won't be getting a paper manual, so you'll need a laptop with internet access or print out some cheat sheets. The BCT15X comes pre programmed with an assortment of State, Police and DOL frequencies, so out of the box you'll have something to listen to if you can't figure out how to program it on the road.

Where in WA are you going? I live about 40 miles NE of Seattle and can help you if you'll be any where close.

GTstyle

K7CAR - shoot me an email & I'll give you my itinerary
bcaudi AT gmail DOT com

Good to hear that there's some stuff programmed, @ least then I can delve into programming later.
Also, where did you get your scanner from? Locally or onlilne?

K7CAR

I'll send you off an e-mail. I got my scanner online out of Calif. Buy.com With the coupon and free shipping I think it came to $215.00 I don't think you could touch that price locally. I'm just getting back into radio, so I'm not familiar with what we have locally for radios and sales. ABC Communications is still around in N. Seattle. http://www.abc-comm.com/ I haven't been in there for years though, so can't vouch for them anymore.

Ham Radio Outlet in Portland Oregon has good prices and is usually a day or two away for shipping.

roszell11

Im trying to set my bct15x for Saskatechewan Canada and having some troubles. wonder if anyone could help?

K7CAR

GT Style, did you ever make it down state side? Never heard back from you. roswell11, as far as a video I don't think that's happened yet. At least I haven't come across one. I have the 15x as well as the 346xt down pretty well in my 1-3 months ownership! Piece of cake, how soon we forget. :)

Send me a PM, e-mail or ?'s here and I'll do what I can to help you.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
Im trying to set my bct15x for Saskatechewan Canada and having some troubles. wonder if anyone could help?

Where about in Saskatchewan are you? I'm to a fairly new user with the 15X and they're still things with it I haven't yet found. anyhoo, I found that FreeScan has helped in programing the scanner and with a subscription with RadioReference it makes it so easy.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Read the article 'Saskatchewan P25 and Trunktrackers' which is linked there (by the way, both here and in the wiki, anything in blue is a link). It lists all the scanners - save for 2 - that will work. There seems to be some confusion about the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 - that's a question for the West Canada forum folks to handle. 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.