UAVs Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0IU

From the article:

"Militants in Iraq have used $26 off-the-shelf software to intercept live video feeds from U.S. Predator drones, potentially providing them with information they need to evade or monitor U.S. military operations."
"The militants use programs such as SkyGrabber, from Russian company SkySoftware.
I am pretty sure that the Iraqi militants didn't have to pay for it!

"A senior defense official said that James Clapper, the Pentagon's intelligence chief, assessed the Iraq intercepts at the direction of Defense Secretary Robert Gates and concluded they represented a shortcoming to the security of the drone network."
Ya think??

"The potential drone vulnerability lies in an unencrypted downlink between the unmanned craft and ground control. The U.S. government has known about the flaw since the U.S. campaign in Bosnia in the 1990s, current and former officials said. But the Pentagon assumed local adversaries wouldn't know how to exploit it, the officials said."
You know what happens when you assume!!

"Fixing the security gap would have caused delays, according to current and former military officials. It would have added to the Predator's price."
Since when is the government worried about how much something cost? Can you say "$7,600 coffee maker", "$434 hammer" and "$640 toilet seat" ??

Last edited:

kandrey89

Premium Subscriber
"Since when is the government worried about how much something cost? Can you say "$7,600 coffee maker", "$434 hammer" and "$640 toilet seat" ??"

Nice, but I don't think those were the exact numbers used in the Independence Day movie, I think he used round numbers :)

Anyone going to try and intercept these feeds from the US side? I'm sure there are UAVs flown here too. Proof of Concept so to speak.

And yes, what moron developed a military system with unencrypted, or weakly encrypted, or compromised commercial software for the drones?

N

N_Jay

I love it!

"Hey Achmed, look what I just picked up."

"It looks like the signal from one of those annoying drones."

"Hmmm, Hey, I recognise that area. It is flying this way."

"Wow, what I great view, I can see right in this window. Oh, Shi . . . . "

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I love it!

"Hey Achmed, look what I just picked up."

"It looks like the signal from one of those annoying drones."

"Hmmm, Hey, I recognise that area. It is flying this way."

"Wow, what I great view, I can see right in this window. Oh, Shi . . . . "
Actually that conversation was intercepted by a skilled CIA field operative using using a glass againts the wall. That's why the UAV Drone project didn't have enough funds to encrypt the drones rf links because a huge chunk of money was diverted to the CIAs ulta-top secret glass on th wall program.

FLCIAMAN

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Does it bother anyone that the media is reporting "interception" as the drones being hacked?

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Premium Subscriber
Atleast the terrorist's can watch themselves get targeted and blown up.... or run and hide..

"Kumak.. Look what I found on the internet!!!.. Americans are taking live videos and that looks like my camel... I wonder where they are...." BOOOM!

brandon

Database Admin
Looks like interesting software. Unfortunately I've been out of FTA sat monitoring for a while. I assume this program require a DVB-S card in your PC? I may have to dig mine out of storage :)

jimvm

SkyGrabber Plus shareware

You need a Linux computer and this software 'ArrQueIv' and you can get a pilots eye view.
In this example you program your scanner for 349.300 AM and plug in audio tap into
computer soundcard. Sit back and wait for awhile.

NOT!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.