BC125AT: UBC125XLT doesn't find any channels

aniaaneczka

Hi,

My new UBC125XLT doesn't find any channels. There's only noise. I've searched all the bands. There's nothing saved because I have yet to find a channel.

I've installed scan125, but I don't know my local frequencies. Does anyone know where to find a list of frequencies for France..? Maybe my issue will be solved by saving frequencies in the scan 125 software.

I am an absolute newbie to scanning, and I may have missed some very basic steps.

Thanks a lot for any useful hints.

aniaaneczka

Where are you at ?
County,city
I'm in France. I've just imported the available local channels to the ARC125 software without problems and uploaded the configuration to my scanner, but it still doesn't hear anything. I may need to go out and try, which I can't do right now (I'm a bit immobile after a foot surgery :p )

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Program the following frequencies into your scanner using Scan125. These are the frequencies in use for the Nantes Airport. If you already know how to program the scanner using Scan125, jump to the bottom for some frequencies in your area.

1. To ensure you do this correctly, open Scan125 and at the bottom of the "Scan Banks" column press the View/Edit button and a new window will open up.
2. Next, as you do not have anything programmed, leave whatever is under "Bank" alone.
3. Under "Bank Name Tag" use something like "Airport" or "aéroport" or whatever.
4. Leave the "Channel" column alone.
5. Use the names below for each line under Channel Name Tag in order to easily recognize what you are hearing.
6. Enter the corresponding frequency below under the Frequency column.
7. For Modulation select "AM" for all of them. You could use "AUTO", but aircraft are using AM mode.
8. CTCSS/DCS should be left alone and is pre-populated with none.
9. Set Delay to 2, or more if the scanner jumps too quickly. I use 2 for most, but 4 for some things I monitor.
10. Leave Lockout to "unlocked" or the scanner will skip that frequency.
11. Priority leave to off unless you want to ensure you give a particular frequency more chance to heard. I leave my Priority to off on all.
12. Make Sure you have a check in the box where it says select.
13. As you typed the frequencies/info in, the program is writing to the scanner. You can now close that window by selecting the "X" in the top right corner.
14. Back on the main screen under "Scan Banks" column select Bank 1. Remove any other check marks for Bank 2, 3 etc. until you fill in something for those banks on the edit screen at a later time.
15. In the middle of the screen toward the bottom you should see "Scan Control". Under that are three buttons, Scan, Srch and Svc. You want to press "Scan". Your scanner should now be scanning the frequencies you entered.

If you want to search for other/new frequencies, click on the Svc button. Next under "Service Banks" at the top right, select only one at a time to search through. If you select too many, you may miss transmissions. It is best to keep your search narrow to a particular service and build up your frequency list which you can later add to the "Scan Banks" and then scan "known frequencies".

ATIS - 126.925 (There is probably a constant signal/audio to be heard here if you are nearby the airport, or have an outdoor antenna.)
Approach - 130.275
Ground - 121.875
Tower - 118.650 (You may or may not hear the tower, but you should hear the pilots in the aircraft)
Info - 129.857

That Scan125 program is great. If my post helped you, the Scan125 program is donationware if you have not donated already.

aniaaneczka

Program the following frequencies into your scanner using Scan125. These are the frequencies in use for the Nantes Airport. If you already know how to program the scanner using Scan125, jump to the bottom for some frequencies in your area.

1. To ensure you do this correctly, open Scan125 and at the bottom of the "Scan Banks" column press the View/Edit button and a new window will open up.
2. Next, as you do not have anything programmed, leave whatever is under "Bank" alone.
3. Under "Bank Name Tag" use something like "Airport" or "aéroport" or whatever.
4. Leave the "Channel" column alone.
5. Use the names below for each line under Channel Name Tag in order to easily recognize what you are hearing.
6. Enter the corresponding frequency below under the Frequency column.
7. For Modulation select "AM" for all of them. You could use "AUTO", but aircraft are using AM mode.
8. CTCSS/DCS should be left alone and is pre-populated with none.
9. Set Delay to 2, or more if the scanner jumps too quickly. I use 2 for most, but 4 for some things I monitor.
10. Leave Lockout to "unlocked" or the scanner will skip that frequency.
11. Priority leave to off unless you want to ensure you give a particular frequency more chance to heard. I leave my Priority to off on all.
12. Make Sure you have a check in the box where it says select.
13. As you typed the frequencies/info in, the program is writing to the scanner. You can now close that window by selecting the "X" in the top right corner.
14. Back on the main screen under "Scan Banks" column select Bank 1. Remove any other check marks for Bank 2, 3 etc. until you fill in something for those banks on the edit screen at a later time.
15. In the middle of the screen toward the bottom you should see "Scan Control". Under that are three buttons, Scan, Srch and Svc. You want to press "Scan". Your scanner should now be scanning the frequencies you entered.

If you want to search for other/new frequencies, click on the Svc button. Next under "Service Banks" at the top right, select only one at a time to search through. If you select too many, you may miss transmissions. It is best to keep your search narrow to a particular service and build up your frequency list which you can later add to the "Scan Banks" and then scan "known frequencies".

ATIS - 126.925 (There is probably a constant signal/audio to be heard here if you are nearby the airport, or have an outdoor antenna.)
Approach - 130.275
Ground - 121.875
Tower - 118.650 (You may or may not hear the tower, but you should hear the pilots in the aircraft)
Info - 129.857

That Scan125 program is great. If my post helped you, the Scan125 program is donationware if you have not donated already.
Very useful for a newbie, thank you!

radionx

Great! Also, here is a site from france to give you some ideas:

The UBC125 does only decode analogue voice...but it's a good start.

Also, make yourself familiar with the sound of these 2 digital modes. Your scanner does receive them but you will hear no voice.

NXDN: Next Generation Digital Narrowband (NXDN) - Signal Identification Wiki

DMR: Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) - Signal Identification Wiki

I strongly suspect the police municipale might use DMR.

Last edited: