UBC125XLT knob malfunction problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tudo21it

Hi everyone from Italy!

I have a problem with my UBC125XLT scanner ... suddenly the upper knob , pressing which activates the VOLUME function or (with the function key) adjusts the SQUELCH, no longer works.

I specify that the scanner has not suffered any accidental fall or hit ...

Pressing the knob i hear the click but the function is not activated.

The knob works only to change channels (as normal).

There is something I can do (apart taking the scanner to a service center)?

Thanks in advance to those who can help me!

Cheers,
Nicola

Scan125

This sounds like a hardware problem with the actual knob.

Can I suggest the following:

1) Try Scan125 to set and adjust both volume and squelch settings. I suspect these will work but also as a result narrow down the issue.

2) When using Scan125 note the current volume and squelch settings. Now adjust on the scanner the volume and squelch settings using the scanner control knob. Shut Scan125 down and then restart the program. Have the indicated volume and squelch settings changed?

Hopefully the above will more accurately point to the potential issue.

Tudo21it

Hi,
thanks for your help!

1) Try Scan125 to set and adjust both volume and squelch settings. I suspect these will work but also as a result narrow down the issue.

Using SCAN125 I can regularly set the volume and squelch.

2) When using Scan125 note the current volume and squelch settings. Now adjust on the scanner the volume and squelch settings using the scanner control knob. Shut Scan125 down and then restart the program. Have the indicated volume and squelch settings changed?

I cannot change the volume and squelch functions with the scanner control knob because I cannot enter that function by pressing the knob because it is that mechanism that does not work.
However I tried to set volume and squelch with SCAN 125, then disconnect the scanner and turn off the scanner and the program.
When I turned the scanner back on and I reconnected it to the program the volume and squelch settings are kept (not reset).

Scan125

Has your turbo knob got stuck down? If you press it does it descend and click?

Try pulling it up.

On my 125 if I press and hold the knob down then after 10 seconds the volume indicator bat on the screen disappears and keeps the know pressed and then rotating does not adjust the volume.

Tudo21it

Has your turbo knob got stuck down? If you press it does it descend and click?

Try pulling it up.

On my 125 if I press and hold the knob down then after 10 seconds the volume indicator bat on the screen disappears and keeps the know pressed and then rotating does not adjust the volume.

Hi!
until I read your answer, I have only tried to press the knob and it regularly clicked but it didn't work.
Thanks to your advice I tried to pull the knob upwards and now, magically, it works!

now everything works normally

thank you very much for your precious help!

Nicola

Scan125

Success then.

If it plays up again then get yourself a small can of electrical switch contact cleaner and lubrication. Then pull the know completely off and unit the usually supplied spray tube put some clean/lube down and around the metal shaft and then operate the shaft up and down and round and round.

Tudo21it

Success then.

If it plays up again then get yourself a small can of electrical switch contact cleaner and lubrication. Then pull the know completely off and unit the usually supplied spray tube put some clean/lube down and around the metal shaft and then operate the shaft up and down and round and round.

Hi, thanks for the advice!

Just another question:
to remove the knob, i must pull it upwards with a little force or must it be unlocked in some way?

Scan125

Hi, thanks for the advice!

Just another question:
to remove the knob, i must pull it upwards with a little force or must it be unlocked in some way?
You just have to grab the knob firmly and pull directly upwards. Takes a little force and care that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.