UBC126AT - Battery Life in Close Call Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the reply. This was for a project where I would be leaving these in random locations (locked up) and later checked for activity, I could check them once a day but would prefer to find a way to power them for longer. I might have to look at an extra power bank setup.

pb_lonny

My first run of this was not great. Using normal AA batteries (non-rechargeable) I ran this last night in the car while out driving and then parked up for a few hours before coming home, batteries were showing almost empty after just under 6 hours.

My next plan is to try the same test but with some high capacity rechargeables.

Paul
Launceston Analytical Radio Scanning

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get one of those lithium battery packs with a USB outlet marketed for recharging cell phones, and connect that to the scanner. And put a set of batteries in the scanner as well. It will run off the external batter until it dies, then the internal AA batteries.

pb_lonny

Yeah I make good use of SCAN125 for automatic logging at home. I have a couple of suggestions which I will email you directly about.

pb_lonny

Well yesterday I ran this on some AA rechargeables, after 7 hours they were almost dead. I am going to have to rethink this project.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Well yesterday I ran this on some AA rechargeables, after 7 hours they were almost dead. I am going to have to rethink this project.

As has been suggested, looks like you'll need a USB battery power pack (The kind you can plug your cell phone into charge. I recommend a +14,000 mah power pack).

Plug the scanner into that. Then when that battery pack dies, you'll still have an extra 7 hours due to the internal batteries in the scanner. I don't see why you couldn't get at least 24 hours out of that setup. Maybe even 2-3 days.

That's your best bet unless you can do solar panel stuff, or find an outlet to plug the scanner into.

pb_lonny

Yeah I guess I will have to go that way. This whole project needs some more research and investigation as to the legal angle of what I am planning on doing.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
As long as you don't place the scanners on private property I wouldn't worry about it. What I WOULD worry about is the equipment getting stolen.

pb_lonny

As long as you don't place the scanners on private property I wouldn't worry about it. What I WOULD worry about is the equipment getting stolen.

That is EXACTLY what I am planning on doing... Setting them up to log the active frequencies of a couple of businesses.

pb_lonny

lol. What are you even trying to intercept?

We have a couple of local businesses which appear to use two way radios but no "official" record can be found of which frequencies they use. They are both located in areas where sitting around in the car is not really possible / a good idea.

My plan was to mount this scanner in a hard case, set it to close call store mode and hide in close to their offices for a day or so.

wtp

i hope

that you did not put it in a metal box !

i used to work in a place where everybody put their phones in metal lockers and wondered why they were dead at the end of the day. phones up the output to try and reach the tower and do that as long as they can.
some power off themselves now.

faraday cage thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.