UCA TG 44224 Incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
On the UCA system, TG 44224 is showing in the RR DB (and hence, on 6 of my scanners through Sentinel) as Pleasant Grove City Services. I'm pretty sure this is the Utah County Dispatch channel for Lehi, Highland, Alpine. Can someone confirm? I'll go change the RR DB if I can get a confirmation.

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I think the 2 TGs are patched. I'm hearing the same thing on both.

Junior1970

44224 Was Pleasant Grove PD Dispatch Ch 1. Not long ago PG folded their dispatch and are now dispatched by Central Utah 911. They are now dispatched off of 45536 (Central Utah Law 2) along with Lehi (8J) Lone Peak aka Alpine/Highland (18J) and American Fork (5J) The channels are patched a good portion of the time. Late at night on weekdays these two TG's are patched with 46112 (Central Utah Law 1) which is Saratoga Springs (26J and the north end UTCO Sheriff deputies including those assigned to contract cities Eagle Mountain and Vineyard.

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
What do you think the RRDB entry should say?

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Based on Junior1970 post (thank-you very much for the info), I have changed my listing to read: 44224-unk UTCo use, 45536-CntlUT LAW-2, 46112-CntlUT LAW-1. And thank-you for the Call signs. Some call signs in my area (South Davis Co) are 2-Golf-xx=Bountiful, Victor=Centerville, Whiskey=West Bountiful, November=North Salt Lake, and X-Ray=Woods Cross. RR database talk groups are still accurate.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
On the UCA system, TG 44224 is showing in the RR DB (and hence, on 6 of my scanners through Sentinel) as Pleasant Grove City Services. I'm pretty sure this is the Utah County Dispatch channel for Lehi, Highland, Alpine. Can someone confirm? I'll go change the RR DB if I can get a confirmation.
I've been fighting Sentinel for three dazes now. As I can tell, it is good for downloading and scanning what is in the database. But is not friendly for modifying what has been downloaded. Very cumbersome. Example, listening to Utah Communications Authority, Davis County, Davis County Simulcast, I only hear what the database has. Does not include, LZ-1or2, UHP, or UDOT. Also no wildcards are included. If I want to listen to (and I do) LZ-1, I have to manually enter it into each individual list, one at a time. Very cumbersome. OR, I am missing something?

Premium Subscriber
I've been fighting Sentinel for three dazes now. As I can tell, it is good for downloading and scanning what is in the database. But is not friendly for modifying what has been downloaded. Very cumbersome. Example, listening to Utah Communications Authority, Davis County, Davis County Simulcast, I only hear what the database has. Does not include, LZ-1or2, UHP, or UDOT. Also no wildcards are included. If I want to listen to (and I do) LZ-1, I have to manually enter it into each individual list, one at a time. Very cumbersome. OR, I am missing something?

Sentinel does have UHP and UDOT. If I wasn’t at work, I’d provide a screen shot of where they are located.
Perhaps when I get home.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I found them in there, but if I "turn-on" Davis Co, then only Davis Co TG's are active. Active, are only things that start with "Davis Co". I spent about an hour, updating the list. IT will work, for a while. It will take trial and error, for me to learn how to get it to do what i want. I really miss the old way of entering two or three digits to go to the TG/freq you want.

Premium Subscriber
Are UHP and UDOT programmed into your SDS100 ?
If Yes....
On your SDS100:

Menu
Set Your Location
Set Range

What is your setting? If its too small... then that may be it?

Idk, maybe we start there and narrow that out.

Premium Subscriber
I think you will need to ADD the "Utah Highway Patrol" within Utah Communications Authority within Davis County to your Talk Group or Favorites List.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I have much to learn. "Set Range"? Now, there is an idea. If I set a range (circle) of 3 miles, will the computer automatically enable all traffic within that range? Example, I turn on all UCA, will only those units within the circle will be heard? I know it isn't that simple, but it would be nice, wouldn't it? ;)

Premium Subscriber
In theory you could just turn on the entire database and as long as your “Location” was on, it should only pick up what is set within its “Range”

PM me if you’d like. Hate to hijack a thread.

N7YUO

So if I am scanning Nelson Peak from Kearns,
and I am receiving Tooele, Davis, Summit, and Wasatch,
how would that work out?
Is it the transmitter site that is in range, or the County units?

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Is it the transmitter site that is in range, or the County units?

Either a unit has affiliated with that site, or the site is configured to always have the TG active. No way that I am aware of for us to be able to tell exactly.

There have been problems in the past where a unit will go somewhere in the state and leave their main channel on. As the unit travels, it drags the main channel onto the sites that they affiliate with. If that site has a low number of channels and the TG that gets dragged is an active one, it can quickly overwhelm that site and lead to busy signals for other units.

There is an ability to lock or prevent TGs from being allowed to drag around and be active on a given site. But that again that is a back end configuration that we can not see.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Here where I monitor Northern Utah mostly - namely Weber Simulcast (which is patched on the back end to Box Elder / Brigham City & Cache Simulcast) it seems there are alot more tgid's which are permanently programmed into each site. I get Bountiful from Weber Simulcast all day and
night. Box Elder get everything from them too. Cache everything from them too. Get UPD from SLC and many others which I have just locked out and hidden.

It appears there are some bumps in the road while transitioning to digital p25

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Unless things have changed from waaaay back when,,,, Talk Groups (TG's) are not assigned to sites. The users radio (handheld (ht), mobile, or base) is programmed with the TG's the user is allowed to use, and the site that is default for the radio. Once in motion, the radio works with the computer to determine which site is closest (RSSI) and will switch the radio to that site. Example- If a Provo officer takes his radio to Box Elder, then the computer will pass the TG the radio is set on, to the Box Elder site. This way the radio can work anywhere within the system, and not just in its "home" area. - Yeup. This thread has been hijacked from it's original heading.
Sorry.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
That is a great refresher course on how all the sh** wirks!.....LOL

Seriously I didn't know if the way the system is designed would require change when going digital.

N7YUO

I can tell from the context of this thread, that I'm outta my league.
Examples:
"if I "turn-on" Davis Co, then only Davis Co TG's are active.
Active, are only things that start with "Davis Co"

First, let me say that I don't know squat about Sentinel, yet.

The county function sounds good if I travel somewhere unfamiliar,
and I don't want to spend a week or two deciding channels & programming a scanner.
When I traveled to Kansas City, I activated the V-folder for that area.
I couldn't tell who I was hearing, but it sounded exciting.

But here at home, I scan counties: (Davis, Weber), and areas: (SE Utah).
In every bank, or favorites, I always include:
all Regionals, all Events, UHP, MVED, LZ1 & LZ2,
maybe Transit Police & DNR/DWR.
These common use channels are not in a county listing, but they should be.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In theory you could just turn on the entire database
and as long as your “Location” was on, it should only pick up what is set within its “Range”

Obviously, it is the repeater sites that have to be in range, not the mobiles.
The scanner, or Sentinel is not going to know if the unit is 5 or 50 miles away.
So, if I just turn on the entire database, and set the range for any SL Simul site,
can you imagine the information overload?
Try this: Program one wildcard on any Wasatch Front site!

N7YUO

Q: "Unless things have changed from waaaay back when,,,, Talk Groups (TG's) are not assigned to sites."

Past experience shows that some users have statewide access:
UHP, AP&P, UDOT, AirMed, Life Flight.

We traveled to Gunnison with Chris Reed of UTCO SAR.
He kept his SAR radio on the whole time to drag his TG to the Gunnison site..
Gunnison was at the time, a new site on 7202.
Well, it didn't work. He could not get his UTCO radio to affiliate with the site.

September 14, 2001, An Amtrak train collided with a freight train about 10 miles east of Wendover.
Calls went out for mutual aid from South Davis and Salt Lake Counties.
"An Amtrak train with 250 passengers crashed & derailed east of Wendover" It sounded ominous.
As soon as The S Davis units rolled into Tooele County, their radios lost reception.
They had to rely on cell phones for backup.
Apparently, a lot of users hadn't yet learned about event channels.

Conclusion: some units may have roaming ability, and some may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.