UCA Updates in progess

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Guys and girls...

The Statewide UCA system in the backend has been out of date for quite some time. As time permits, I am going in and bringing it in line with most other statewide systems. Most noticeable will be that cities are separated from county listings.

In the backend, none of the counties or cities were actually assigned to a county, the GPS ranges are set for state default ranges (220 miles), duplicate text information, and various forms of alpha tags for the same place.

Those using location/database aware scanners/software will see the changes, and no longer will be scanning the ENTIRE system when you want to hear something within 5 miles of your location (by default).

This will take a few weeks to accomplish and generally I am working in reverse alphabetical order so that the web display is least affected.

If you look at Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc - you can get a feel of the format.

Reactions: 522

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
In Wyoming's WYOLINK I note 4 letter abbreviations in the "notes" field for sites in the RR Map: "ChBu" for Church Butte, "FiDi" for First Divide etc. Do these 4 letter abbreviations show up somewhere else other than when clicking on a site on the RR Map?

Thanks
W

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Those short names are what Wyoming programs into the radios vs plain site numbers. Smartzone systems like UCA will transmit a site alias, if used (which many UCA sites will).

It’s just in the comment field in the RRDB so those looking at offical documentaion can cross reference.

If people know the UCA ones, it’s easy to add.

They do not show up on any RRDB maps

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
PJH.... I have looked at Montana, Colorado and Wyo to get a feel for the changes your making but cannot grab the concept....I must be a little thick headed.

Would it be possible for you to post a couple screen shots explaining the changes?

TIA

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Pretty simple - counties are all in alphabetical order, and the cities within the county are listed under that county in alphabetical order.

State and regional interop at the top of the database, followed by state agencies, then federal, then the counties.

Basically the same as how the conventional data should be.

The State system slipped under the radar for years and was never converted to the database standards for county assignments, gps ranges, etc.

So if you had a Uniden scanner or windows software where you wanted to load in say, Morgan County - you’d never find it.

That’s because in The backend, although the listing says “Morgan County”, the assigned county showed “Unknown”.

This was a feature added to the database at least 8 years ago.

Same with GPS ranges.

Every talkgroup and category was listed as statewide, so if you had RRDB aware products, no matter where you where in Utah, every talkgroup in the system would be loaded and scanned.

Once it’s finished, it will make more sense.

Premium Subscriber
This will take a few weeks to accomplish and generally I am working in reverse alphabetical order so that the web display is least affected.

Please don't take this the wrong way... Super appreciate all you do. Just from a curiosity standpoint.
What is a ball park estimate on completion? Excited for the new and improved update.
Before I get too excited and start programming anything... I suppose we should wait until its completion?

mpcpsrego1

Premium Subscriber
@PJH just a few things that if you want to add. In the Bountiful channels, Bountiful CH 1 dispatches all of the following cities on this one channel; North Salt Lake Police(November units), Bountiful Police(2Gulf units), Woods Cross Police(X-Ray units), West Bountiful Police(Whiskey units) and Centerville Police(Victor units). Bountiful Police CH 2 is used as a Secondary Channel if Channel 1 is coded for emergency traffic otherwise its just a secondary channel and Bountiful Police Ch 3 is Bountiful Police Car/Car only. For Davis Law CH 1 they dispatch; UHP, Davis County Sheriff, Farmington Police, Kaysville Police, Cinton Police, Syracuse Police and Sunset City Police on that Channel. Also Davis Law CH 1 and CH 2 are the same talkgroup patched and relay the same traffic. For West Valley City Police CH 1 is used for east side units(east of Bangerter HWY) Police CH 2 is used for west side units(west of Bangerter HWY) til 3am and then all is dispatched on Police CH 1 unless they code the channel for emergency traffic then 2 is used for non emergency until all clear. Salt Lake City Police does the same thing with their West(CH 1) and East(CH 2) except for State Street separates the two sides and after 3am they are patched to CH 1 West unless emergency traffic comes up then they un-patch and use CH 2 as secondary til all clear. If I think of more for you to add I will type it up and add it to this open forum.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to translate that when I am all back in front of a laptop.

The database proper, we keep basic information in the description field as those who use display scanners tend to get a bunch of junk that clutters up the display. But short and sweet may be added depending on what is required, and/or a wiki entry created to explain some stuff.

In any case, when I get back in front of the computer, I'll take a look and see what we can do.

There are quite a few "generic" and confusing descriptions that have made sorting some talkgroups a pain.

A bunch are the "Sheriff Service" which appear to be just dispatch channels based on the tags they were given.

Most of this will be mute (And hopefully accurate) when the new P25 system starts to come online

Status
Not open for further replies.