UCAN Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF7ZXT

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Utah and to statewide integrated communication systems. I have a very basic question: as I sort through all the various sites on the UCAN system, it seems they are all using the same band plan (I hope that's the right term) as every other site in the state. Does this mean that UCAN is basically a simulcast statewide? That does that mean there's now reason to program in different sites (assuming all TG's are broadcast through all sites).

Thanks

PS - that would be sweet!

kf7yn

The whole system is not a simulcast system. However, some TGs are higher priority than others such as Air Med and Life Flight which have priority anywhere. Normally you shouldn't hear the Washington County TGs up here in SL County but they have been on up here lately, presumably so the UCAN engineers can monitor remotely.

For whatever reason, you can hear most of the major Law dispatch TGs along the Wasatch Front on the Salt Lake Simo system. I assume that is true to some extent on other Simo systems but I rarely hear anything outside of Washington County when I listen down there whereas I hear most counties regularly on SL Simo and Nelson.

Having said that, local comms are 'supposed' to be carried on local IR sites. You won't hear all the Law TGs on Parley's Canyon IR site, for example, only local units in the canyon.

TGs can be dragged to other areas if needed; an officer from Logan can theoretically talk to other Logan units or dispatch from anywhere in the state. But there needs to be a good reason to drag the TG because with over 1,000 active TGs and a max of 20 channels available, the system can become saturated and overload if too many TGs are active.

Make sure you program the data channel(s) for each area you want to monitor. Hope that helps.

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
new scanner

Hi Jon this is Dave I still have that 2053 radio scanner I bought from u a long time ago. and was thinking,
about getting a new digital scanner. how ever I due not have 600 to buy the fancy new undien that are out there. so which scanner should I get to listen .

Justin84065

Premium Subscriber
What scanner to buy

The uniden BCT15X base/mobile or the 346XTC handheld should be adequate. Also most affordable
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.